1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Connection Method

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Apnomis, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My Denon 2800II is currently connected to my TV via a decentish quality SCART lead. The signal my Denon is sending is set to RGB (out of the choice of Video, S-Video, RGB) and the video out is Interlaced. At the TV end it is plugged into the only Scart lead socket that can process an RGB signal.

Now I have been offered a cable that is Component at the DVD end and SCART at the TV end.

If I use the component sockets on my DVD and send an RGB Interlaced signal is that the correct setting?

The big question (and the reason for this thread) is:

Will I see a noticable improvement in picture quality by sending the YPbPr (?) signal down separately shielded channels and into a SCART socket? Or will the fact that it has to change the signal back to Scart completely defeat the point?

Having it connected any other way to my TV is not an option, it has to be SCART. Sound is also not a problem as it links straight into my Reciever (Digital on the DVD channel, and Analogue on the CD channel). My options are:

Stick with my shielded SCART to SCART connection (RGB signal)
    Change to a Component to SCART connection (RGB signal?)
    Change to a S-Video to SCART connection (S-Video signal?)

All I want is the best possible picture quality.

The Component to SCART connection I am looking at is this one:
    http://www.ixos.co.uk/interconnects/products/video/product.asp?id=487
    I can pick it up for £35 if I want it...

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    if its a decent scart lead you are using at the moment, you'll be hard pushed to see a difference. its worth trying before you buy if you can but if it was me i wouldn't really bother unless you are not happy with the picture as it is - maybe time for a bigger and better screen ;)

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you haven't already, you might want to read the sticky at the top of this page - it's a guide/discussion looking at the differences between component, rgb, s-video, and composite feeds. A good read :)

K.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yeah I tried to read that but it's incredibly long and complicated! I thought it would be easier to ask the question directly :blush:

Besides I got the impression that that info was written be an American who viewed Scart as the electronic equivilant of pond slime! So since I need Scart I didn't see any point in reading an anti-scart thread. That's why I posted a new thread, I wanted a Scart users perspective ;)

6. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Y,Pb,Pr is not compatible with RGB so it's unlikely your TV would be able to make any sense of it. If you send RGB down 3 separate wires I believe you need to send syncs as well, which I think come from composite. If you're happy I'd leave it alone.