okey

Novice Member
I have just brought a new motherboard asus m2npv-pm
and it has the following connection on it,

vga out
dvi-d out
Y, Pb, Pr

I have a philips 32"lcd with hdmi socket on it, and y, pb, pr inputs
is component the same has hdmi without the audio?

MarkSS

Novice Member
dvi-hdmi would be best but with PC to LCD its more often a case of which connection will give you the correct resolution i.e. the native resolution of the screen.

T0rNaDo

okey said:
is component the same has hdmi without the audio?
dvi is the same as hdmi. without audio

component is the best analog video signal...

dvi is digital video.

hdmi is digital video and digital sound

if im right.....

kolabere

Novice Member
Use in this order for preference: VGA; Component and DVI-D (least - best).

T0rNaDo said:
dvi is the same as hdmi. without audio

dvi is digital video.
Just to confuse a little DVI can be digital, analogue or integrated :eek: . All About DVI should help.

DVI-D does use the same video protocol as HDMI.

MarkSS said:
dvi-hdmi would be best but with PC to LCD its more often a case of which connection will give you the correct resolution i.e. the native resolution of the screen.
I agree, but to be pedantic the correct resolution is the one which works best for your setup, this may not be the native resolution.

e.g. I have a Sony XL100 connected to a Toshiba 32WLT66 with HDMI-HDMI @1216 x 684, far from the native res of 1366 x 768.

PeteD64

Novice Member
kolabere said:
Why do you say VGA is worse than component? Lots of us use VGA to connect to our screens because it gives the clearest image.

mark.carline

Novice Member
The best one ??

Easy...

Try all of them and pick the one *YOU* are most happy with.

That will then be the best one - :lesson: - Dont just pick the best one based on teckky stuff

Theres too many variables to think about, quality of card, cable, tv etc etc etc

kolabere

Novice Member
Please read carefully (emphasis added)
kolabere said:
and
. . . the correct resolution is the one which works best for your setup, this may not be the native resolution.
Mark states it far more practically - I'm much more a theoritician :D .

MarkSS

Novice Member
kolabere said:
I agree, but to be pedantic the correct resolution is the one which works best for your setup, this may not be the native resolution.

e.g. I have a Sony XL100 connected to a Toshiba 32WLT66 with HDMI-HDMI @1216 x 684, far from the native res of 1366 x 768.
Go on then, I'll bite. Why on earth is that the best resolution for your setup and why is that better than having 1:1 mapping?

jameson_uk

Novice Member
kolabere said:

You will find that different combinations of graphics cards, TVs and connections will give you different sets of available resolutions and different results. (eg I did try via componennt at one point and got overscan)

For MCE and the like you will not notice any difference but if you are using the windows desktop 1:1 pixel mapping is very noticeable.

kolabere

Novice Member
It's the best for me because it works better than any others I've tried (Using the "Mark Carline Method") - Windows/Internet browsing from about 2m is excellent, so is MCE . . . the end :thumbsup: .