1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which components for the ultimate gaming Rig?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Hawklord, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Now I have got my 6800 GT I'm looking to build myself a new uber gaming rig to last me the next couple of years:)
    I'm looking for a :-
    suitably quiet case (Antec Sonata looks promising)
    At least a 450 Watt Quiet PSU
    Not sure what mobo to get either a socket 939 or 754 (anyone know the benefits of 939 over 940/754) for an athlon a64 cpu.
    A suitable A64 cpu at least a 3500 (is the FX53 worth the £600 :eek: ).
    At least 1024 MB of the fastest memory to complement the mobo and cpu.

If any of you PC guru's out there could give me any recomendations on parts and the place to get them it would be much apreciated. I'm looking to spend <£750 on all the above parts so plenty to play with (although an FX53 is out of my budget:(). I've already got hard drives, sound cards and dvd rom/rw drives etc so only need to buy the above :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking.

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    PSU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_PSUs_148.html look for Tagan TG480-U01 480W Silent PSU (CA-000-TG)

CPU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/amd_64_bit.html look for AMD Athlon 64 3700 (Socket 754) - Retail (CP-087-AM)

MoBo Asus K8N-E Deluxe nForce3 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-065-AS)

Ram have a look at this, Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XLPT TwinX £229

wow i think ive reccomended out of budget already lol messing. for ram id be looking at PC4000 at least (but thats preference)f or the 64 bit processor. im a fan of Geil Ultra (a got this for a friend and WOW) and this will give you room for overclocking as well. 1 Gb of this will cost £200+ but well well worth it

as for cases i'll have a mosey later for you as im about to shoot. ps must the processor be an AMD ??

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Would this be an uber system (all sourced at OcUK):-

Amd Athlon 64 3500(S939) £219.95
    Asus A8V Deluxe £75.75
    Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX (2 x 512) £179
    Antec Sonata Piano Black Quiet Case + 380W PSU £71.95
    Window Xp Home £53
    subtotal £599
    shipping £9.75
    VAT £106.65
    Total £716

I probably won't be overclocking (except my 6800 GT to ultra:))All within budget too :smashin:

About to order soon so hurry lol :suicide:

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    not to shabby :rotfl: the one thing id change is the PSU. that is one whack of system may be a bit better to have about a 450W PSU. especially if your OC'ing the 6800 Beast :thumbsup: the psu i reccomended is about 2ft away from me in a system and it is awesome, and i find it quiet :D

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Won't the antec psu cope? My current PSU is only a 340W chieftec dragon which copes overclocking the 6800gt now:)
    I'm loath to by a case with psu just to throw out the psu:(

Otherwise suggest a similar case without psu :smashin:

Are the socket 939 chips the same as 940/754 in performance terms or better? I shaln't be upgrading the cpu for years so would it be better going 940/754 :confused:

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes the PSU you said should be fine TBH. maybe its just me, as i try to future proof as much as i can cos £70 for a 480W Silent PSU is good value IMO. :rotfl: you could always get a vapourchill case :rotfl: TBH that case you chose is fine. honestly with that setup now you will not need to upgrade for a long time. and some happy gaming will be ensured.

Edit: in my system it used to get hot and i bought a little exhaust blower and Hard disk fan. this came to about £10 and made a nice little difference

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Will that tagen psu fit in a Lian Li PC 6070 Silent Aluminium Midi-Tower (No PSU) (CA-016-LL) case?

Brings me slightly over budget at £829 but what a case:)

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Check out this little power supply calculator - only a guide, but quite useful.

9. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hawklord.

That looks like a nice setup. As you have read in my thread, I am looking at upgrading, and plan to order the following tomorrow.

MSI K8n Neo Plat Nforce 3 mobo £85
    Athlon 64 3000 £120
    Radeon x800 pro VIVO £310
    1gig Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM (CL2.5) £170

As you can see, this is a mid-range/ semi- high end setup, and most of my decisions are based on value for money. I hope to get some sort of overclock out of the CPU, maybe only 200Mhz, but that takes it to 3200 speeds for free. I did think hard about socket 939, but I have never replaced just a CPU in a system, always new mobo aswell, so the lack of upgradability isn't an issue. I then plan to add a custom watercooling setup with the change in the following month, and have a cool and quiet beast. :D

I have a question though, are you gonna run Windows XP 64? I haven't read much about its stability or performance when compared to Win XP pro.

Any which way, I just can't wait to play far Cry at max settings, and Doom 3.....oooh baby.

Cheers

Rob

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have gone ahead and ordered the system at OcUk's i should hopefully get it delivered Wednesday morning:)
    I shall be using XP home for the time being and will get xp64 as and when it's established and worth upgrading to as I don't fancy beta testing it for MS.

Pulsar I'm sure your system will cope admirably with Far Cry, HL2 and Doom3 but I would personally get a 6800 gt instead of the x800 pro. The gt has 16 pipes enabled without having to mod and they all appear to overclock at least to Ultra levels. (mine reached 420/1140 without any trouble).Did you manage to find out if it will do the resolutions you require?shame if it doesn't but I'm sure the x800 will serve you well:)
    If your water cooling and overclocking your probably gonna get possibly similar performance to the 3500 anyhow. I don't have any intention of overclocking the CPU as I've not really had any experience of doing so really and never really managed anything substantial with my xp2700+ and nf7-s mobo. Graphics cards seem a bit easier to clock and are possibly a bit more forgiving than cpu's.

Has your ban run out yet :blush:

Doom 3 is out in a couple of weeks and it looks like I'll have a nice new machine to play it on :devil:

11. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hawklord.

Yes, the ban has ended, huraah. lol

I can see how much sense the 6800GT makes, and I would happily have one, but I need the custom res, and I found no mention on AVS about the new Nvidias being able to achieve it. I think it is 90% certain that a X800 pro VIVO will mod to 16 pipes, and should get near XT speeds, so I shall give it a go. I will be placing my order in the morning, but I plan to do it by phone to ensure everything is in stock.....better to be safe. I have found OCUK to be the cheapest or as cheap as everywhere else for the bits I want, but they don't do the Crucial RAM, so I shall buy that direct from crucial.

I am not much of an overclocker, my current PC is my first real go at it, and it went quite well, so I shall give it a go on the A64. I think I shall just use Win XP Pro as you say, I don't fancy having system instability by using a beta OS.

Please report back here once your system is setup, and I shall do the same. Finger crossed it all goes well for us both.

Cheers

Rob

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hawklord, sorry i couldnt stay on longer to help more as i had too shoot out was already late repling to help you :devil: :rotfl: was worth it as i like to see people happy with top end machines :lesson: me personally would have a X800XT as well. stick it to the nvidia Fanboy's hehe even thought i do agree the 6800 Ultra is one mean Card. i hope all is well and report back when the system is up and running :)

13. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hawklord,

I placed my order at 9:30am today, and have called OCUK about 10 times to try and confirm stock levels, and that the items would ship today. I finally called the support number, and was told that they have 800 orders to pick today, and so everyone has been pulled off the phones to help in the warehouse. I don't feel confident that I will be getting my stuff tomorrow, and am tempted to drive up there and collect it myself.

I hope you get your stuff soon, as I am sure the wait is as hard for you as it is for me.

Cheers

Rob

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Yeh I know the feeling :boring: I was trying from 10.30am to phone their customer support line and only got to speak to someone at 4 o'clock :thumbsdow Still it was good news in the end as my gear is on it's way to me and I should be getting it tomorrow.

Lets hope it's a straight forward build and I can get it up and running without any issues just in time for Doom3 in a couple of weeks :devil:

Hope you get your bits soon too m8ty :cool:

15. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hawklord,

When you spoke to them at 4pm, did they rush your order through, or did they say it had already been done? Also, have you received a e-mail saying it is posted? Finally, when you check your order status, does it say it has been shipped? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I am getting a little pee'd off with them. When I check my order status, it says that the order hasn't been printed at the wearhouse yet.

Cheers

Rob

16. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    That's what mine said that's why I was calling :mad: When I finally got through the chap at the end of the phone said that HE would get the order out to me for delivery Wednesday. I'm assuming he was reviewing my order and saw the exact status (IE already packed and or shipped) and only confirmed this for me. Within ten minutes of him saying this the status online changed to shipped and on getting home received an email with all the shippment details :smashin:

I just hope Amtrak don't :censored: up the delivery :D

17. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Cheers for that. I hope they get mine sorted too. They are a good company for prices, but the services is not as good as my usual supplier, Ebuyer. Anyway, finger crossed. I will be OK as long as it arrives by Thursday.

On a different note, my memory has shipped from Crucial, so at least I will be ready for the build once OCUK get their backsides in gear.

Good luck

Rob

P.S How many calls did you have to make before you got through?

18. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It took about 18-20 :eek: Each time I called it just said that all the lines were busy and that I should call back later. When I finally got onto a cue for the customers service line I had to wait a further 15 mins before I spoke to anyone :thumbsdow
    I'm suprised they've even got a business atall if that's what it takes to place an order. The dread to think the amount of custom they must lose purely because it takes forever to get through and actually speak to someone :lesson:

19. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I agree, but when I spoke to a guy in technical support, he did say that it was unusualy busy. Anyway, I am happier now, I have received an e-mail saying that it has been packed, and is ready to ship. I should hopefuly get it either tomorrow or thursday now. :D

My main concern was that the goods I had ordered were in stock, even though the site said they were. i am not the kind of guy who will happily sit and wait for something when I pay over £700 for it. :devil: Anyway, it seems like it is all fine in the end.

Thanks again for the help.

Rob

20. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    woo hoo further update from a member of staff confirming that my order will be here tomorrow. I am very happy now. :D

Rob

21. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    update: Memory arrived, just waiting for mobo, CPU and graphics card.

Uh, I hate waiting.

Rob

22. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Nothing here yet :rolleyes:

23. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Wuhoo it's all just arrived :clap:

Time to get building, see you in a while :hiya:

24. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Nice one. See you on the other side.

Rob

25. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hawklord.

Mine arrived about 1 hour ago. All installed, and working, just re-installing Windows now.

Hope your is OK.

Cheers

Rob

26. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hawklord.

I am all setup, with a fresh install of windows, and the radeon has flashed to XT spec, and is running at full GPU and memory speeds. :thumbsup:

Hope everything is going fine for you, I'm off to play Far Cry. :D

Cheers

Rob

27. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Finally got it all built and everything installed :zonked:
    It's a real pain having to download anything of the web without antivirus and unfortunately picked up a few viruses before I could get the registration code to enable avg. It took a while to get rid of the bl :censored: thing :mad:
    Now I've updated everyhing software wise and everything is running sweet. The build went particularily well (I liked the new hsf mechanism made it a lot easier than messing with a screw driver etc) with no issues at the moment.
    Managed to benchmark my g card on this set up and managed 10938 3dmarks at stock and 12001 clocked to ultra speeds which aren't a vast improvement over my other rigs :confused: (I think 3dmark2003 is more to do with the graphics card than cpu etc so that is probably why but I might start a thread at OcUK) . Still I'll load up joint ops and see how it performs in real gaming terms.

28. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    just for the future if you or any other people pick up the blaster worm and it gives you the 2 min countdown just go to start > run and enter "shutdown -a" this will halt it and let you do the neccessaries. nice to see it all up and running. did you go for the Lain Case & PSU i reccomended if so what do you think ?

29. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I went for the Antec Sonata in the end. It's a nice case with good access, is nice and quiet and the PSU seems to be able to cope with everything so I'm very happy:)
    I've still got a bit of tweaking to do over the next few days to optimise everything but everythings going great guns.

bring on doom3 I'm ready for it now :devil:

30. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hawklord.

Glad everything went OK. I did a benchmark and got 11,379 marks at XT speeds. Should be enough for now until I start the overclock. :D

Cheers

Rob