1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which component cable?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lotusman1, Aug 5, 2003.

1. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will soon be taking delivery of a panny PTAE200 and i'm looking for some reccomendations as to which component cable i should be looking at,the run needs to be about 10metres.I have seen some monster cable on ebay usa for what seems to be really cheap prices but i don't know how good they are although they are THX certified.Thanks in advance.Marc.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
  3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a 10m component cable for £25 from unbeatable.

I've got a 15m one but haven't used it yet as I've yet to buy a prog scan dvd player.

Cheers,
    Cal.

4. cloudchaser

cloudchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Cal

Have you got your cable? How good is it? I am trying to find a good quality component cable to use with my Toshiba 32zp38p and SD330e DVD player.

cheers

5. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a 'cheap' 10 meter component cable once - it was utter crap. After trying out various options, I've come to the conclusion that like so many things in life, you get what you pay for. And as far as component cable of this sort of length goes, anything under about £100 is dubious. A decent Van Den Hul cable is going to cost you a fair bit, yes, but the point is what goes in one end is pretty much what comes out the other, no matter what the length. If you buy the cheaper stuff, which is usually just 3 seperate phono cables, you end up with almost as much garbage coming out the other end as with a s-video cable, not to mention the interferance you can get. If you've spent the money on a decent dvd player and projector, don't go and undermine them by hooking them up with cheap cable.....

6. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you, Bump - but what about if your cable costs more than your DVD player?!? Surely that's a bit daft, eh?

Apparently cpc sell a 10 metre component cable for £28 that'll sort you out nicely.

But then, I wouldn't spend any more than £50 on a piece of wire, on principle more than anything.

7. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very true, but then again, I would always recommend at least a £300-400 DVD player to go with a front projector. The very fact that you are blowing the image up so large means you better be damn sure the image is good, or it's just going to look a mess! A good progressive scan source is not a nice extra for front projection IMO, but a necessity! :)

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cloudchaser,

Haven't used mine yet but it sounds like you need a maximum of 2m of cable.

I bought mine on the principle that if I've got £150 to spend do I buy a £120 player and a £30 cable or a £100 cable and a £50 player?

I think when it comes to cables the law of diminshing returns dominates. I've seen speaker cable advertised at hundreds of pounds per metre but I know I'd never be able to tell the difference.

I think it's a bit like wine, the more expensive the better but it gets to the stage that you wouldn't know the difference between a £100 bottle of wine or a £30 bottle especially due to the alcohol.

So when you're intoxicated by that movie will you really notice where that extra 5 hundred pounds worth of cables, interconnects and speaker cables went? I wouldn't.

Besides if you can only afford £30 quid now, you could always upgrade later without loosing too much.

Perhaps you should use someone like richer sounds and try the cables before you buy...

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would agree with Mr Bump on what you pay for is was you normally get. However check these guys out for leads VDC (sorry I initially put AVS?) 0207 700277. A 10m component cable (van damme) £64.37 (inc vat + p+p). Ive got two and they are great. In fact today I ordered a 15m subwoofer cable, double screened and the works £14.

10. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    another thumbs up for Van Damme cable here

11. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, Van Damme are supposed to be pretty good cables and that's a pretty good price!

12. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'd recommend starting with a £150ish Panasonic S75 and spending more if you really want to. It's connected to my PJ by home made VanDamme component cables using their colour coded coax cable and Eichmann bullet plugs. Very good picture and even better after I fixed my dodgy soldering. Get them made for you, it makes sense :)

13. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr bump.
    I totally agree with you that what you pay for is what you get,in my last thread i metioned that i spent £300 on QED tri-component cables which is connected to my Sony vpl12,some people were amazed that i could spend that amount on cables,and i also think it a matter of personal choice.
    By the way,Jack Daws there is a number missing from the telephone number you gave.

14. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yup, the way I look at it, my pj cost over 3 grand and the DVD over 700 quid, so spending £150 of decent cabling is simply good sense. I know my kit ain't that great in the scheme of things, but I think it's good enough to deserve half decent connectors.

15. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sorry, AVS number should read 0207 700 2777.

16. lotusman1

lotusman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well thanks for all the advice people,i actually ended up buying a second hand set of vandamme cables 10 m long for 45 pounds from a guy in the selling forum and it performs very well through my 37" panny plasma(still waiting for the projector)!