• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which company still make speakers in Britain?

bluraymond

Established Member
Just need to know as with IAG controlling quiet a few of the brands nowadays, what i be right to assume that their brands are now made overseas specifically in cheaper factrories in the far east? Do Monitor Audio and B&W still make speakers in Britain?

stevos

Distinguished Member
I seem to remember that part of the press release from MA about their new top range (platinum i believe) they stated they were made in the UK, but not sure if that applies to the whole range.

I believe B&W's are still made in the uk, well the 800 series are.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
B&W still make a lot of their speaker in the UK but the new 600 series will not be.

PMC are one of a few good quality companies that manufactures all of its speakers in the UK.

matt303

Established Member
Rega still make their speakers in the UK, I think they make everything in the UK.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Just need to know as with IAG controlling quiet a few of the brands nowadays, what i be right to assume that their brands are now made overseas specifically in cheaper factrories in the far east? Do Monitor Audio and B&W still make speakers in Britain?
B&W certainly do right here in Worthing Sussex:

B&W Group Ltd
Dale Road
Worthing, West Sussex

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Would this question be more acurate if it asked which speakers are ENTIRELY made in Britain, That'll narrow it down a bit.

It'll rule out all of the ones with Danish drive units. That's PMC out of the running.:(

Russell

TopMeTom

Banned
If pmc do danishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

ahem, wonder how the Dali's compare?

Anyway revolver? good name, made in england!! That's what i want...

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I believe B&W's are still made in the uk, well the 800 series are.

the B&W 700 series are as well :thumbsup:

you also have these as well

ruark - southend, essex
monitor audio - rayleigh, essex
BK subs - southend, essex

P

Peter Galbavy

Aye, be careful of all those companies that basically assemble products in the UK, slap on a sticker saying "Proudly Made in The UK" and in reality all the components and assemblies are manufactured in China/Korea/wherever.

I can claim all my IKEA furniture is "Hand made in Finchley"...

Ed Selley

Hi-Fi Editor
Would this question be more acurate if it asked which speakers are ENTIRELY made in Britain, That'll narrow it down a bit.

I think it will too. Narrow it down to a round zero in fact. For items like caps and some other board components (to say nothing of terminals) the best are Japanese or German and have been for some time.

Spangle2k5

Established Member
I know B&W have a cabinet plant in Denmark, I don't think that this makes all of their cabinets though...

iainsilvester

Established Member
Speakers are the highest profit margin components in our hobby. It is still the preserve of the British cottage industry for that reason. Had dinner with a well known UK manufacturers Finance Director a year ago, you don't want to know how much a pair of speakers cost....

Speakers really are very simple devices that follow a few simple laws of physics, it's the marketing boys that convince you they have to be leather clad, or made of F1 carbon fibre, or bullet proof vest Kevlar. Oh please....

trailer

Prominent Member
It's always easy to say "the raw product costs only is this much". You have to remember the amount of time that goes into the R&D of any product. This includes not only the design of the cabinet but also the crossovers, cones and the man hours (and their pensions and Xmas parties) assembling them, which is probably the major cost. Why do you think everything is made in China now on a production line? Have a look at the B&W Nautilus DVD and see what is involved in putting a pair of those out.

iainsilvester

Established Member
Thanks Trailer, I am a Finance Director too;)

audio15

Standard Member
Guys,

Let me put some details in perspective for you, rather than make assumptions.

Lets look at a typical U.K company wanting to sell speakers in the U.S.A.

Two years ago the exchange rate was 1.95 now it's 2.05
A typical company will have a distributor margin 40%
A retailer margin, on speakers is around 50%. Some dealers want 55%-60%.
The C.I sector needs 70% retail margin to even be interested. So take the retail price less VAT and take of 70% margin - then take off 40% distributor margin - then take off local rep firm cost typically 5-7% - then take off duty and shipping costs. The manufacturer is left with the rest to make it and make a living. So when you use a big brush to comment, please make sure you really know the facts.

Monitor Audio DOES still make some speakers in the U.K.
And, unlike most other companies owns a factory in China will supervisory, director level and Q.C staff sourced or moved from the U.K operation.

Raw material costs have risen by around 60% In China over the last two years, but then most Finance Directors doing international business will know that!

Most_Wanted

Established Member
Don't know about the cabinets but the mid/bass drivers of ATC speakers are hand made in the uk. Overall assembly is also in the uk i think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom