Which Compact Flash for Canon EOS 400D?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by 1LeeDenton, May 8, 2007.

1. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hi all,

Well, after months of research, I've finally bought a Canon EOS 400d with Kit Lens!! Got Jessops to price match Warehouse Express, so got the above kit for £409 after Canon cashback (managed to get Mrs AFC to increase the budget a little :smashin: )

Was obviously offered the Jessops 2gb CF card at something crazy like £40 (which I politely declined), as I knew they were available much cheaper online.

Can anyone recommend which particular Compact Flash I should be buying for my Canon?? Camerapricebuster have the Sandisk Extreme III CompactFlash for £22.99 from play.com - is this sufficient size/speed/quality for my needs (general family photography, landscapes, sunsets etc).

Any help most appreciated :thumbsup:

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    It is more than enough and that price is about right. You should also get a free licence for the Capture One LE software . They supposedly expired in March but still seem to work
    Even the Ultra II ones work great

I couldnt justify the Extreme IV cards for the 30 and 350D but the extreme III cards are fine.... I got a 2Gb one In April last year for £75:( but they are now around the £20- 25 mark

Although not updated for the 400D this should be interesting

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

3. imcarm

imcarm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought this 8GB for use with the 350D, great bargain and works a treat.

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Seems a real bargain.
    With the 400Ds 10Mp RAW files I imagine, the larger the better but Im wary or very large card only because
    All cards can fail and if you do not discipline yourself to download soon after a shoot, you may lose a lot of work if the card malfunctions

The "all eggs in one basket" syndrome is what I refer to.:)

5. imcarm

imcarm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm well disciplined and always download after a shoot it's a very good habit of mine :) but I do agree all cards can fail and losing 1GB or 2GB of images is not as bad as losing say 4GB or 8GB worth. I do have 2x1GB cards which are there for backup, so all is not lost.

6. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Thanks for the link imcarm, however I don't think the Fun & Finance Officer will approve £36 on a memory card (I've already had to bend her ear to allow me to get the 400d and not the 350d).

Managed to find a SanDisk Extreme III CF Card from a 100% Positive Feedback seller on ebay for £20.98 inc delivery....think I'll go for this, saves a couple of ££ on the play.com price.

8gb would be nice though :dreams:

7. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Be careful when buying Memory cards off of Ebay, something to be aware :

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=183345

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170887

And for those not registered :

8. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
  9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I dont mean to advertise but may want to try these guys

Ive never yet regretted any purchase from them, and Ive got a Canon 30D camera, 3 lenses, 2 extra batteries and 2 CF cards and a Metz flashgun off them over the last few years

This is another co Ive dealt with with for genuine Sandisk CF cards , A Canon lens and A Sigma Flashgun

10. 1LeeDenton

1LeeDenton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hmmm, many thanks for all your comments guys. Think I'll play it safe on this occasion and spend an extra couple of ££s for the 2gb CF from play.com...don't want to end up with some fake from ebay after all...

11. chouglez

chouglez
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends AFC what you are gonna shoot on your new toy m8. For fast writing speeds where you may be shooting race tracks and the likes ot those you might need those extreme 3 & 4s but for regular shooting stick with the basic imoh.

Also don't stick in a 4 or 8 megs in your gear. Rather have few 1 or 2 megs.
    The higher capacities are great for storage though.

Also look at websites such as www.7dayshop.com & www.xlshop.com

Both these websites are reputed to be good to their promises in the past for me.

12. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If you use the MADNESS20 code at Jessops it works even if you are buying an SRL, so you can pretty much get a card for free :)

13. geek_girl

geek_girl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i have bought a canon eos400d for a present for someone and think i need to get a flash card to go with it. is this right or is there memory on the camera meaning that i dont have to get one to give with the camera or if there isnt, does it need to be a high speed compact flash - bigpockets have got a PEAK 2GB COMPACT FLASH CF XTREME that says it has ultra fast read and write speeds but they also have PEAK 1GB COMPACT FLASH CF CARD RETAIL with "Build-in Dynamic Defect Management and Error Correction Technology"

having spent a lot on the camera i cant really spend a fortune on a flash card. any recommendations will be very gratefully received. not wanting to be pushy but the quicker the advice the better as i need to give the present next week.

thanks

14. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    The camera will not have any in-built memory, so, yes, you do need to buy a CF card. I buy my compact flash cards from www.mymemory.co.uk; best to stick to well known brands if you can (Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston, etc). I have personally used Sandisk and Kingston without any issues. There is a 40% discount at the moment for the Kingston Pro 4GB at £17.99. HTH. Regards, Simon.

See here ...

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/compatible-memory/Digital_Cameras/Canon/Canon+EOS+400D_Memory_Cards

The bigger the capacity (I recommend 2GB or 4GB minimum) and faster the speed the better.

15. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    That was quick, and dare i say accurate. :)
    Aim to spend £20 -30 max , and stay close to Brand names. The 400D does 10Mp so at least a 2Gb or even 4Gb Sandisk Ultra 2 would be ideal
    Oh.. avoid e-bay!:nono:

Another good retailer HERE

16. geek_girl

geek_girl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help. it will make my fella a very happy boy on his birthday :D