1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which combination - up to 1600£

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MaricaD, Sep 3, 2004.

1. MaricaD

MaricaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me and my bf are trying to put together a home theater in a room 6 x 4 m (about 20 x 14 ft). We are prepared to spend about 850£ for audio + about the same for video. Until now we've come up with this options:

Infinity Primus Theater Pack or Infinity Beta
    Harman Kardon AVR 230 Receiver or Marantz SR5400
    Yamaha DVD-S550 Player (it should play DivX)

SONY KV32FQ86 for 600£ or JVC HV-32P37 for 700£ or PHILIPS 32PW9308 for 800£

We'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, any info actually!!!

Thanks

2. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm

I can't make any comment on the 2 receivers that you mention as I have not heard them in action.
    I know this is the amplifiers group but you say you want to put together a "home theatre" but you detail 32" TV's as your display device. If you really want to put together a home theatre then a 32" display just ain't big enough.

How about a projection setup? :devil:
    Decent projectors are available for around the £1000 mark which would leave about £700 of your budget for the audio side of things which I'm sure can be done fairly easily.
    Take a look at the video projectors forum for some ideas.

3. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my advice is to look at the new Yamaha RXV650 & RXV750.

4. MaricaD

MaricaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an information that Yamaha recievers are too rough for Infinity speakers, that they do better with HK or Marantz

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I don't know much about AV but here's some basic advice. Second hand amps are a good bet (No moving parts so not much to go wrong), especially with new gear coming out all the time there are some real bargains to be had. DVD second hand could also be a good option. This would leave you a substantial amount left over for speakers cabling and interconnects. Does your budget include cables?
    If you can run to it Monitor Audio do some nice speaker packages.