Which combination of bookshelf speakers and amp from the following:

catalin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Following some great advice received in my previous thread here, I was able to define my requirements and narrow down the choices. Now I need your help to select the best sounding combination.

Background: I live in Switzerland, almost nothing that is popular on this forum is not available to demo. Looking to build a 2.1 or 2.0 system with bookshelves + AVR Amp depending on price. Max budget for this stage is 2,500 CHF = 1,650 GBP for bookshelves + AVR Amp + subwoofer (if possible but nota must). Bookshelf speakers will be wall mounted (more exactly on a wooden panel, will post a picture tonight) so it's important they have the bass ports at the front or lateral. Weight and size are also important, style is a plus. Due to space constraints the speakers will be placed about 80 cm apart and the listening position is about 2.5-3m in front of them. They will be used 50% for music and 50% for movies/games. Inputs are a Playstation 3 and 42'' Panasonic plasma. The room is about 15sqm. In 1 year I will most probably rotate them at the back and get floorstanders at the front and a center to build a 5.1 system.

My picks so far:
Bowers & Wilkins 685
Bowers & Wilkins 686
Focal Chorus 706 V

Yamaha RX-V2067
Pioneer VSX LX53

BK Electronics Gemini II
BK Electronics XLS200

Caveats: B&W are not shipped outside the UK, they are pricey to get here - I can have the 685 for 540 GBP the pair maybe a little less expensive if somebody buys them for me in UK then posts them to me but still tricky. The Focals I can get here for a good price without complications: 395 GBP the pair. The Pioneer amp I can get here substantially cheaper than the Yamaha : 890 GBP vs 1020 GBP. So cost wise the most effective combination would be Focal + Pioneer and I could fit a small subwoofer in the budget, but is it a good sounding combination? Please share your opinions or suggest any other combination in the same budget. Much appreciated, cheers.

Adding pictures as I promised.

Speakers will be placed on the panel above the TV. Not ideal but it's the only option.

Listening position 2.5 directly in from of the speakers.

Can we assume that tall structure on the left is a wardrobe? And can it be moved or detached from the lower section? And if it can be moved, is there any place to move it to?

While I could recommend the usual suspects in terms of speaker B&W, Monitor Audio, Focal (France), Canton (Germany), Dali (Netherlands), your real problem is not available speakers, it is the space you have to put them in.

In a case like this I would be inclined to recommend a Sound Bar. The Quad L-ite series has a little known sound bar available -

Quad Hifi - Performance Series - L-ite Plus LCR - L-ite PLUS LCR Sound Bar

Quad L-ite Soundbar Speaker System | Home Theater

Unfortunately, even many dealers of Quad are not aware that this Sound Bar exists.

The only other option would be some very compact Satellite speaker/Subwoofer.

Again, there is no shortage of great speakers available, the problem is getting the speaker to fit the space shown in the photos.

EDITED:

Another possibility came to me, the Monitor Audio Radius One HD -

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd/r-one-hd/your-speaker

Both the suggestions are passive speakers that incorporate the left, right, and center into one unit.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Hi Steve, thanks for the advice. The "tall structure" can be moved but there is no other place I can put it. I am planning to get rid of it in about a year and get floorstands for the front, but for now it will have to stay.

The sound bar concept looks interesting, but the Quad is not available in Switzerland from what I can see and and the MA sells for a ridiculously high price. Add to that the tiny 4'' woofers and the lack of flexibility (I can't move it at the back later); this is not what I'm looking for.

I think I will take my chances with bookshelf speakers even if the placement is not optimal. I'm still hoping that the sound will be decent. If I get the Focal 706 which are readily available and get good reviews, what amp should I pair them with? Is Focal - Pioneer LX53 a good match or would they work better with Yamaha 2067 or another amp (AVR)?

Second question, how good are the Canton speakers that you mentioned? How would they rate compared to the others? I hadn't heard of this brand but I see they have many products in my price range so that could be an option.

Catalin

Damn, wrote out a nice long response, then accidentally closed the window.

I did respond to your PM.

While that wardrobe is in your way, your options are very limited. You could put some small satellite+center on a shelf above the TV, that seems like something of a waste when you are already planning an upgrade within a year. That makes this system something of a throw-away.

As to the Focal 706, a good speakers, and you might find a way to get-by with them in your current situation, then blend them into your new system later. But that takes forethought and planning. If you plan to upgrade to Focal 716 or 726, then the 706 could be moved to the rear channels. That's what I mean by planning ahead. Don't waste money now on speakers that you can't use in the future.

As to an AV amp, my feelings are the same, you are wasting your money if you buy a 'get-by' 'Throw-away' system now, and upgrade it later.

Though, you might buy some bookshelf speakers and a very basic cheap stereo amp now, and move that system to another room or on to your computer when you upgrade in the future.

Of course, connecting a stereo depends on whether your existing TV has analog AUDIO OUTs. If it doesn't then, things get complicated and expensive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't buy anything now that you can't put to use later.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve,

My TV does have analog audio outs (why is that important?) if I read the specs correctly - "Analogue Audio Out: RCA phono type connectors (L, R) (1 set rear)" and also
- "21-Pin Input/Output: AV1: AV In/Out, RGB In, Q-Link (rear)
AV2: AV In/Out, S-Video In, RGB In, Q-Link (rear)"

Regarding the tall cabinet, I came to the same conclusion as you - it has too go otherwise it's too complicated. Definitely plan to integrate the speakers and AV amp that I am buying now in the future system. So I will buy good bookshelf speakers on stands and place them left and right of the TV. Maybe the Canton Vento 810 that I opened another thread about - they look like good value. I can insure 20-30 cm distance from the back wall but the one on the left will be close to the lateral wall, that is the only inconvenient.

The thing is, if you start buying Focal speakers, then finish off with Focal speaker, and the same it true of Canton. Though are you sure you need to go as high as the Vento series? That is about the best consumer series that Canton makes. The GLE are pretty good, and I certainly wouldn't mind a pair of Ergo. Even the Chrono are nice, but Vento is getting a little too expensive for my taste.

Still, your money, your life, do what make you happy.

Steve/bluewizard

The thing is, if you start buying Focal speakers, then finish off with Focal speaker, and the same it true of Canton. Though are you sure you need to go as high as the Vento series? That is about the best consumer series that Canton makes. The GLE are pretty good, and I certainly wouldn't mind a pair of Ergo. Even the Chrono are nice, but Vento is getting a little too expensive for my taste.

Still, your money, your life, do what make you happy.

Steve/bluewizard

That's the thing, I found an online dealer here in Switzerland that sells the Vento for about 530 GBP the pair. That's about 100 more than the Focals which are only entry level so the upgrade seems well worth it? The Ergo 610 are the same price as the Vento.

There a quite a few speakers available over here (CH), but the UK brands are not exactly popular and often aren't available, are hard to find, and/or are overpriced. Moreover the entry level models tend to get ignored as shipping costs price them out of the market. The result is that German (or Asian) models basically rule the roost, with some French brands such as Focal putting in a show.

My recommendation would have been Piega, which you can find everywhere except perhaps the local Migrolino, but your CHF 2,500 budget for a full system is too low for this to be a realistic option.

Focal JMLab is an option, if you stay with the Chorus range (Official Sistrade price-list here). I'd have suggested Teufel (direct sales: Lautsprecher Teufel, 8 weeks home trial). Otherwise Canton, Elac, Heco, Jamo, Magnat, Quadral or Wharfedale (UK designed, Chinese owned), all of which can be found without difficulty in the local hifi shops.

Steve has addressed the room problem, so I needn't say anything more than that you really do need to think about it.

BTW Steve, Canton Reference is also sold here, with the Canton Reference 1.2DC costing more than Quad ESLs!

Mark, where were you two weeks ago?! I ordered the Canton Vento 810, I don't think I will be disappointed, the price seems right for the build quality (800 CHF). Next, I will need standmounts and the ones from Canton are expensive. Any idea where to get reasonable priced ones?

Next, I will need standmounts and the ones from Canton are expensive. Any idea where to get reasonable priced ones?
Digitec? HiFi Regler? Perhaps a search on www.toppreise.ch?

I like the VCM range, they can be found almost everywhere, but I don't know what they do for speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom