1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which coax?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by abinormal, Nov 15, 2004.

1. abinormal

abinormal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel the need to upgrade the coax connecting aerial to tv. I get a dodgy freeview signal intermittently so I'm going to put in a single run without any wall sockets along the way.

What's the best cable to use to cut down on interference and signal loss. I read somewhere that you can get CT100 from Homebase for about £1 per meter but I don't know if this is any good. Anyone got any suggestions? Also, what make of connector should I go for. :confused:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  3. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi There,

I'm looking at doing exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons. A few people have mentioned this CT100 cable, but, maybe I'm an old cynic, I find it hard to believe that this is "the Best" cable that can be brought for running aerial signals through? I'd be happy to pay £4 or £5 per metre (or maybe more) for a high quality cable? Are there any other options at all, apart from this CT100, that can then easily be fitted with a good quality co-ax plug (I know CT125 is available, but is allegedly not much better and too thick to easily terminate with co-ax plugs...)

Any thoughts or other options appreciated.

cheers,

Dave B (JudgeBaxter)

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Have a look here: http://www.netcentral.co.uk/satcure/cable.htm

I prefer the WF100 types, solid foam core with copper foil and braid.

Does not kink as easily as air spaced, once it's kinked, it is ruined.

Avoid the silver paper foil types, much of the cheap stuff at DIY stores is not much good.

Look for the copper foil.

The PH100 at screwfix should be good if it has copper foil, probably air spaced, so handle carefully.

As far as I know you can buy decent coax by the metre for 60 pence at http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#WF100

(Many places sell decent TV and SAT coax, satcure is the first one I found with google that is honest about the screening types)

Hope that helps !

Mark.

5. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Appreciate the response - you must have read my mind as I was going to ask your advice via e-mail!!!

Looks like CT100 or WF100 is the choice to make then, but that I should get a good "brand" of this cable rather than the B&Q type stuff. Spent most of the afternoon on Satcure's site - do you know if they make cables up which include those noise filters thingies at either end (think they are ferrite? or something - but they are moulded into and around the actual cable near each end - the Profigold cable calls them "IAT interference absorbers"!!) as well as a co-ax plug?

Thanks for you help,

rgds,

david (JudgeBaxter)

6. bearing

bearing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Replacing the cable on your installation may cure the problem, but the first thing to check is whether you aerial is really up to the job. As the saying goes 'You can't make a silk purse from a Sow's ear'

What type of aerial do you currently have?

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello David,

Not really sure on any brand names of WF100.

B&Q coax was air spaced last time I looked, kinks easily unless you are careful. was maybe called PF100 or similar part number.

The WF100 from satcure should be good, I doubt they sell rubbish.

And as bearing says, dont forget a decent aerial !

Mark.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Intermittent dodgy reception can have several causes. You could be picking up ignition interference from passing vehicles, which would mean that you need better co-ax, or alternatively if the signal from your aerial is weak, you could be picking up interference from household appliances like lights and fridges. Your aerial should be outside, and as high as possible, and connected with a good quality co-ax which includes a copper foil outer sheath. Don't be tempted to put aerials in the loft - they don't work anywhere near as well as they do outdoors.

9. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    you did say better than ct100!
    the people at kimber cable (russ andrews) say their v21 is better ,and say that they have test to say so!

10. baggers1

baggers1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0