Quantcast

which circular saw blades?

liamt

Hi guys, planning on doing some DIY and thought i would try using my circular saw a bit more. its never been great at nice cuts but likely cos the blade wasnt great.

so, which one do i get? so many options its confusing.

i have a Pro (from B&Q a few years ago), 184mm blades, 20mm hole. i am guessing i want 80 teeth for the nicer finish i am after but no idea which blades are good or bad?! any recommendations?

cheers!

rorton

ive had good results with Saxon Blades from Amazon - used them on my Mitre saw and circular saw.

Freud are really good blades, bit more expensive.

bear in mind that if you get an 80 tooth blade, then your cut will be slower but you should get a finer cut.

Also if you put the face side of your workpiece down, then you will get less tear out, most of that will happen at the back - you can also try painters tape on the cut line (but the tape on, measure, and mark on the tape, and then cut) also helps with tear out.

Could try that with your current blade too?

liamt

ive had good results with Saxon Blades from Amazon - used them on my Mitre saw and circular saw.

Freud are really good blades, bit more expensive.

bear in mind that if you get an 80 tooth blade, then your cut will be slower but you should get a finer cut.

Also if you put the face side of your workpiece down, then you will get less tear out, most of that will happen at the back - you can also try painters tape on the cut line (but the tape on, measure, and mark on the tape, and then cut) also helps with tear out.

Could try that with your current blade too?
cheers dude, they were the ones i was looking at. i guess mainly its for outdoors stuff so maybe 40 would be ok? but i do like the sound of a nice clean cut. my makita jigsaw struggles to get a nice vertical cut on some stuff but my old blade hacked stuff to bits, i think i abused it tho using it for all sorts over the years.

yes, ive seen the tape thing before, used it myself a couple of times and works great. good for if you dont want to put a pencil line on the surface etc too.

thanks for the heads up, can get those saxon blades pretty quick too so i can get cracking.

liamt

what are you looking to cut with it? any sheet goods, or just stuff like 4x2 timber
i guess mainly external stuff so decking, treated timber etc but do want to make some nice chunky shelves inside too. i have a mitre saw but it never seems to cut the depth i really want so its a ball ache. plus my garage is chocka so i have to work outside normally so not ideal. just when i have time to empty the garage all the tips are closed 😥🙄

i mainly want it for doing some decking for around the pond top i am making and some planters

rorton

should be good then, can I suggest getting a roofing square/speed square - its perfect for butting up agains the edge of the wood, and giving you a guide to run your saw agains to get square cuts

Like this

liamt

yes, i have seen those being used, they look brilliant! will grab one

arachnoid

For your requirements any blade with carbide tips will probably do the job. I purchased a Saxon 80T to reduce some chipboard/MDF cabinets and bookcases. I've only done some test cuts but it seems fine. I think a coarser tooth count (e.g. 40) will be more robust for cutting construction grade timbers, etc. I also purchased a Kreg Square Cut Saw Guide, which is useful (its plastic so I use a parallel between the saw and the guide to save any accidental damage/wear).