Question Which cheaper speakers :(

MaryWhitehouse

Due to the Mrs horse spending a FORTUNE at the vets I'm going to have to move my AE1 Actives along. Boooooooooooo as they're superb.
So I need to get something else to keep me going. Obviously they'll be passives as I think I can use my Pioneer VSA-E08 as a power amp with my Khozmo pre amp. So I think I can spend up to £250 delivered at the very top end. I'm probably looking at stand mounts again. I listen to most styles of music with very little classical in a roughly 4.5m x 4.5m room. I like an engaging sound with good but not bloated bass.
So far I've only looked at new with eBay offering a 15% off voucher in some sellers. I'm open to used but must be postable. As it is I'm thinking of Q Acoustics Concept 20, Dali Spektor 2, Cyrus One Linear, Elac Debut B5.2 and as a curve ball might be able to get some Mission LX3 floor standers.
Thoughts, notes and suggestions please :)

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

MaryWhitehouse

MaryWhitehouse

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
You might get lucky for your budget with these splendid things.

MaryWhitehouse

You might get lucky for your budget with these splendid things.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm thanks. Just started looking through used.

ashenfie

I think I'd be selling the horse lol

MaryWhitehouse

matthewpiano78

I can vouch for the Dali Spektor 2s - terrific speakers for the price, and offering the engagement that is typical of Dali speakers.

MaryWhitehouse

I can vouch for the Dali Spektor 2s - terrific speakers for the price, and offering the engagement that is typical of Dali speakers.

Ah thank you as I've never heard them.

MaryWhitehouse

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I forgot you were using a preamp :facepalm:

That salient fact makes active speakers the way forward. After enjoying your AEs I think you’d struggle with any cheap passives. However allegedly good.

Or, sell some horse meat and buy these.

Any and all will be more like what you’re accustomed to. Especially the Adams.

MaryWhitehouse

MaryWhitehouse

Yup. I prefer the Concept 20 unless you have a decent size room. The QX2 are big and heavy so suit a bigger room

Very helpful :) Do you think 4.5 m square ish room would be ok for concept 20s? Thanks

Costello

I had them in a similar size room with no problem. Just don’t expect massive bass. The Missions will give you more of that.

MaryWhitehouse

I had them in a similar size room with no problem. Just don’t expect massive bass. The Missions will give you more of that.

thanks. Which would you say makes you want to listen more?

Costello

Personally speaking, I preferred the imaging and timing of the Concepts. I found them far more engaging. The QX2 will offer more scale and bass and are a very good speaker. I also couldn’t get to grips with the QX2 styling. That massive aluminium plate on top is hideous. It shouldn’t matter but it did to me.

MaryWhitehouse

Personally speaking, I preferred the imaging and timing of the Concepts. I found them far more engaging. The QX2 will offer more scale and bass and are a very good speaker. I also couldn’t get to grips with the QX2 styling. That massive aluminium plate on top is hideous. It shouldn’t matter but it did to me.

Thanks again. The Missions do look rather industrial. I tried to talk to the shop selling the QX2s above but they weren’t very helpful.

DT79

Due to the Mrs horse spending a FORTUNE at the vets I'm going to have to move my AE1 Actives along. Boooooooooooo as they're superb.
So I need to get something else to keep me going. Obviously they'll be passives as I think I can use my Pioneer VSA-E08 as a power amp with my Khozmo pre amp. So I think I can spend up to £250 delivered at the very top end. I'm probably looking at stand mounts again. I listen to most styles of music with very little classical in a roughly 4.5m x 4.5m room. I like an engaging sound with good but not bloated bass.
So far I've only looked at new with eBay offering a 15% off voucher in some sellers. I'm open to used but must be postable. As it is I'm thinking of Q Acoustics Concept 20, Dali Spektor 2, Cyrus One Linear, Elac Debut B5.2 and as a curve ball might be able to get some Mission LX3 floor standers.
Thoughts, notes and suggestions please :)
Noooooo. Is selling a pair of speakers you've already got, and love, for a cut-down price*, part of which you then have to re-spend on something else that isn't as good, really the only option?

*And being a fairly niche product, if you aim to shift them quickly you'll likely have to accept a gallingly low price...

camcroft

Noooooo. Is selling a pair of speakers you've already got, and love, for a cut-down price*, part of which you then have to re-spend on something else that isn't as good, really the only option?

*And being a fairly niche product, if you aim to shift them quickly you'll likely have to accept a gallingly low price...
Very true indeed most people want everything for nothing or less

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett