Which cheap Blueray players have "source direct" mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gangzoom, Dec 30, 2011.

1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,000
    Having just upgraded my Amp to a Denon 4311 I'm keen to see how it well it upscales DVDs. However my current (very budget) BlueRay player is a £50 LG model, which I have no complaints about (actually seems to upscale fine to my 50inch plasma, and does audio passthrough) but doesn't offer any option to pass-through the video signal without processing....I can manually select the video output to 576p when I play DVDs but thats a hassle.

Had a look and it seem like only players costing £300-400 seem to offer video pass-through, which seems a bit bizzar since if you bypass video and audio in the blue ray player to let the amp do the work why bother paying so much for the player :confused:

Any one know of any cheap player that do pass-through

2. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    I've no first hand experience of the current Sony models but the s380 (<£99) appears to have an HDMI output setting called [Original Resolution] that claims to output the resolution recorded on the disc. This player also provides an option to output YCbCr 4:2:2 which is the native scheme used by the ABT video processor in your Denon AVR.

Ideally 576 or 480 "i"nterlaced YCbCr 4:2:2 format is probably optimum for the ABT unless the AVR does other conversions first.

One thing I would check is if the Denon has an options to select 2:2 odd or 2:2 even forced cadence modes. ABT's auto cadence isn't great with film on PAL and the forced modes can offer better performance with this type of material. Denon appear to have omitted this ABT option in other products. Similarly I don't know if Denon implement ABT's PReP function which may be of benefit for previously de-interlaced input i.e. 576 "p" etc. that may have been performed poorly by the player.

Avi