Which centre speaker for Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by danprice, Aug 27, 2012.

1. danprice

danprice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I've recently purchased some second hand Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30 speakers (original not evo 2) from the classifieds on here and am looking for a centre to match.

The original Evo centre is almost impossible to come by so I'm looking for a suitable alternative.

Can anyone recommend something that will integrate well? Size is not an issue as it will be going in a dedicated room. Ideally I also prefer to buy second hand as I like a bargain!

So far I have been looking at the wharfedale 10.cm. Is this the best match from the Wharfedale range? I thought the 10.cs might be too small. Are there other brands/speakers that will match well?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

:thumbsup:

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,164
    Well, the most logical choice would be either an EVO or EVO2 center. Despite being good speakers, these were not popular in the UK, so I would not except to find a lot of them. If you don't mind paying the money, you could contact any authorized Wharfedale dealer and order a EVO2 CENTER.

Short of that, probably the best match will be something like the Diamond 10.CM.

Also, I suspect if you are willing to order from the EU and pay shipping, likely you can get EVO2 on continental Europe.

As far as used, yes, you might find something, but again, this doesn't seem to be a popular model in the UK itself, though very popular in other countries.

Steve/bluewizard

3. danprice

danprice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks very much for your reply.

Apart from Wharfedale is there anything else I could look at, Kef, B&W etc? Or will I really get best results staying with the same brand?

Any reason the EVO isn't popular in the UK? My EVO 30s will be good speakers right? I probably won't get a chance to listen to them until I move house in December.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,164
    To have a similar sound, it is best if the speakers have a similar construction. Wharfedale tends to use Fiberglass cones on their bass drivers and Silk Dome Tweeters. To have a similar tone, any other brand should have a similar construction.

However, the amount Tonal variation between the Front and Center bothers different people to a different degree. Some people it drives them nuts, other don't mind at all. I can't predict how you will react.

The only way you can truly tell if the speakers are right is to listen to them side-by-side, unless you have an exceptionally good ear and memory.

As to why the EVO isn't popular in the UK, I think it is simply a matter of people moving to other brands when they get up in that higher price range. So much of the focus on Wharfedale is on the extremely popular and moderately priced Diamond Series. But, the EVO have always gotten TOP reviews. On my recommendation, someone in the group picked up an EVO2-30 on close-out from SuperFi (a few years back) and he was overjoyed at the sound quality, and stunned that he was able to get it so cheap. I would dearly love to have a pair of EVO2 (40's or 50's), but the price is a bit high for my budget.

Steve/bluewizard

5. danprice

danprice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Many thanks again for the detailed reply. Guess I'll get a 10.cm to start with and keep my eye on the classifieds and ebay for an EVO/EVO2 centre.

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,164
    The Diamond 10.CM really is excellent value. For the modest price, and the high praise heaped on the new Diamond 10 series, I think it is certainly a worthy starting point.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. damiani88

damiani88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its a few years later but I currently have the centre speaker for the Wharfedale Pacific Evo set up, I used to have the 8's as front pair but iv got 9.1's now. I'm wanting to get the 9.cc/10.cc centre to match the fronts. (I need the flat top to fit my awkward setup!)
    Anyone willing to trade?

8. danprice

danprice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I don't have anything to trade, but if you are thinking of selling the Evo centre speaker, please let me know.

Thanks

9. damiani88

damiani88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dan, I am willing to sell it yes, just found a beech 9.cc on ebay. Im not sure how much to sell the evo for though as there are hardly any for sale anywhere. I live in the leeds area. The bottom 2 plastic pegs on the grill are broken but it doesnt fall off. Other then that and slight marks, nothing major, you have to get up close to see them its in good condition.