Which centre speaker for iQ setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PdJ, Apr 30, 2007.

1. PdJ

PdJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of upgrading my speaker package to iQ5's for the fronts, iQ1's for the rears but im not happy with the iQ2c as a centre and the iQ6c is to expensive. Any suggestions on an alternative centre speaker that will work well with this package? Thanx!!

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    The IQ6 is really the most suitable centre channel if you are looking for an improvement over the iQ2C. It is not adviseable to mix and match your front speakers if you want the best results. It is unfortunate that you feel the iQ6C is too expensive as anything else that would be a noticebale improvement on the iQ2C is likely to cost that much if not more.

It might be worth thinking about other packages such as the Monitor Audio BR5 and BRC. Alternatively the Epos M5 and M8C are a superb set of speakers for similar money.

3. PdJ

PdJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to have an all KEF setup. My main concern with the iQ2c is that it is just not up to the job. I was at a dealer this weekend and listened to it. I then listened to another centre, Energy, that just blew it away and i think the problem is in the driver configuration. Most other centres have a tweeter and two MF/LF drivers while the iQ2c only has the single driver with the tweeter. The iQ2c had a small stage and i found it to be very 'narrow' while with the Energy, and any centre with more than one driver for that matter, i found the stage to increase and be more broad. I know how important the centre channel is for movies and multi channel music and i dont want to invest in something like the iQ2c that only gives me part of the performance. I do not believe the iQ2c to be a good centre and i do not know why KEF left this speakers, because it really becomes the achilles heal of the more affordable iQ range.

4. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    As you point out, the UniQ diver array makes the KEF's particularly difficult to match. I agree the iQ2c is pretty terrible. The 6 is much better, but I've never really rated the whole set with movies.

I would agree with Crustyloafer; you may be better of with the MA Bronze range. The BR5's are just as good/even better then the iQ5's with music, and much better with movies IMHO. And the BRC is really very good.

5. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I changed from a Q6c to an iQ6c and the difference is marked. I would suggest you look out for 2nd hand or display model iQ6c to fully match your setup - I got mine a month ago as a Sevenoaks display model, hardly been used and bargained them down to £180.

6. andy82

andy82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got the iQ6c center and it has a lot more depth and clarty over the iQ2c

Andy