Answered Which center speaker to go with my KEF?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Teeb4g, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I currently have a pair of KEF iQ30, bookshelf speakers, plugged on a Marantz 1508.

I've been trying to find a matching center speaker by focusing on KEF 3 ways speakers like the original iQ60c or even the Q200C. I've been looking for the past few weeks on the Bay, Gumtree and of course AVF but to no avail.

So I wonder if there is any good alternative out there? I need to have a center with very good frequency coverage as I won't have a sub right now. Also at the moment I have a real issue listening to movies at low volume where voices are just muddy and that is what I am trying to address with the center. Hence the 3 ways center if that makes sense?

Thanks for your help!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by Joe Fernand, Oct 19, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,425
    Getting a Centre 'right' can be tricky - often not helped by poor dialogue and any number of ways on which the dialogue is mixed/created between the Production Suite, the Broadcast and your system.

(Interesting article here - Some Notes on 5.1 and Music on Television | The Remote West Company recording/mixing/broadcast)

Poor loudspeaker or room layout can often be a factor too with poor dialogue and there is plenty of debate around three identical speakers for Front LCR rather than identical LR cabinets plus a 'dedicated' (usually horizontal) Centre channel.

How optimised is your speaker layout and how easy will it be to accommodate a Centre channel?

Joe

4. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response, appreciated.

My current setup is not ideal as my LR placement is everything but optimised. Unfortunately I don't have any other option because of room limitation and WAF criteria. This is a picture of my current installation:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the LR are on the floor, not at the same distance from the TV and one is against a wall. Probably a good combination of the worsts in speaker positioning.

That's likely why I am currently struggling with voices and that's also why I want a good center to alleviate the LR speakers.

Does that make sense?

Now about the center speaker: I originally wanted it to fit underneath the TV, on the top of the console, but the space I have is limited by a low height: 15 cm / 5.9". So the plan is to put the center on the console but it will be "in front" of the TV. I am therefore limited by the depth of the speaker as it should be a maximum of 26 cm / 10.2" to have a maximum height of 18 cm / 7 ".

Cheers

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,425
    ‘My current setup is not ideal‘

‘Does this make sense?’

In short No :)

Adding another badly placed/integrated Loudspeaker is not the solution I would be going with.

I’d either find a way to correctly mount and position the existing LR or consider replacing them (or the furniture) with something suitable.

Joe

PS Nice AV Rack - though possibly not in that spot.

6. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,052
    Have you considered selling off the KEFs and going for three smaller speakers (which would sit on your rack) and a sub (which could go anywhere you like)?

7. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for trying to help!

Changing the furniture is not possible so yes another approach is to replace my KEFs so they can fit my console.

(a quick parenthesis: initially I tried to replace my KEF + amp by a decent soundbar [Sony HT-ZF9] but the sound I got from it was absolute rubbish compared to my KEF when listening to music)

I am trying to keep things within a reasonable budget, ie not spending much more than £200. I am not quite sure how much I can get from my KEFs ; maybe around the £150 ballpark then I am looking at something round the £350. Do you have recommandations for a decent 3.0 set around that budget?

Cheers

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,425
    Best Answer
    I would go with a 2.1 system.

Have a look for some Gallo Micro or A'Diva second hand + a suitable small Sub (BK Electronics, Gallo or Velodyne). The Gallo speakers can happily sit on the supplied 'O'Rings' and will sit on either end of your cabinet top (positioned close to the front edge).

New the Gallo Micro or A'Diva will be outside your indicated price range once you add in a Sub - Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Micro – The Media Factory

Joe

9. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advise Joe, much appreciated.

I am now looking at selling my IQ30 on the Bay to see how it will sell.

I looked at the Gallo's, I have to say I never heard of that brand before. They look quite attractive and a 2.1 set should work well (clearly not as a 2.0 though as the Gallo can't go very low in frequency). I am leaning toward the Diva but finding a good used offer seems tricky in the UK (found a refurbished pair on eBay but £350 still). If you have good links to find those please share. :)

If anyone else has good advises to replace my IQ30 with compact speakers please don't hesitate!

Cheers

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,425
    'I have to say I never heard of that brand before' - there was a time when they were No.1 choice here on AVF.

What was 'Anthony Gallo Acoustics' relatively recently became 'Gallo Acoustics' and moved it's HQ from the USA to Lanark in Scotland.

The Micro/Micro SE/A'Diva/A'Diva SE are all worth looking out for - they do come up now and again here on AVF in the Classifieds. Of course we can always help you out if you can stretch to a New pair :)

Joe

11. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,425
    The B&W M1's would likely be my choice from the selection you indicate.

Joe

13. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Joe.

I am starting to be more and more lost in my search. I think I am ready to stretch my budget for that 2.1 to £450. This budget represent the Gallo Micro + TR3 best price I found as used.

If I consider £200 for a sub then it makes the stereo ones for £250. In that budget I found:
    • The Gallo Micro (see above)
    • Q Acoustics concept 20
    • PSB Imagine Mini
    • Q Acoustics Q7000LRi
    Those are all fitting in size and price (all are used ones but the Q7000LRi).

And to those I still have those M1's too. And I also found a pair of Apex A10 on eBay for £350, above the budget again but they seem to from a different level.

I didn't realise there was so many options in this range!

Cheers

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,425
    'I didn't realise there was so many options in this range!' - definitely lots of options!

We have used the Gallo's on my installs so those would be my first choice.

Joe

15. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help all the way Joe!

I made up my mind and will go with the Gallo Micro + TR3.

I guess my main worry at the moment is voices in movies. Do you think it would be worth adding a centre speaker with the LR Micros? Another Micro or a A'Diva would be even better?

Cheers

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,425
    I would try with just the Front LR to begin with - placed towards the front and outer edge of your TV stand you ought to find they produce a realistic 'Centre' chanel.

Joe

17. pretoriano

pretoriano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had the IQ60c and I replaced it with the q600c, it is of two superior categories and goes well with the IQ90 towers, I recommend it

18. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Why don't you just put your Kefs on speaker stands?

19. Teeb4g

Teeb4g
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all.

I ended up selling the KEF's to have a 2.1 that suits best the room I have. I couldn't put the KEF on stands because of the room layout / console / WAF factors. Realistically I don't think the KEF's were addressing my requirements anymore. They are not sold yet and I might keep them on the side for a future usage if I can't get a decent price of them.

I am now waiting on a pair of Gallos to arrive and I might add a third one only for voices later on.

Thanks especially to Joe for the recommendations!