Which Center speaker in the KEF R7, R11, B&W 702 S2 league?

shmerls

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to upgrade my HT in phases. Phase one will be a Denon X4700, X6700, Arcam AVR10 or AVR20.

The speakers will be Phase 2, but in the KEF R7, R11 or B&W 702 S2 league

I want to include the Center in Phase 1.

Given the direction I’m headed in my AVR and front speakers, is it possible to recommend a center?

You would be best to go listen

You would be best to go listen
Absolutely, but I’m hoping to get some choice direction, so I can have a target list to do just that. There are way too many and would love to narrow down before going store to store only able to demo what’s on the shelves, vs seeking stores that stock my targets.

I need to upgrade my HT in phases. Phase one will be a Denon X4700, X6700, Arcam AVR10 or AVR20.

The speakers will be Phase 2, but in the KEF R7, R11 or B&W 702 S2 league

I want to include the Center in Phase 1.

Given the direction I’m headed in my AVR and front speakers, is it possible to recommend a center?

Have you heard the Kef R yet? I think you mentioned in your old posts that you heard 702 S2 which you liked. I would find dealers that has Kef R7, B&W 702 S2 and Revel F206. When you know which of those you like the most then it´s easy to choose the center channel.

Options assuming you got the space: B&W HTM 71 S2, Kef R2c, Revel C208 .

Don´t forget Anthem MRX740 receiver. You have heard Denon/Marantz already and Arcam also. I would pass the AVR10, it has poor amp. AVR20 minium if you buy Arcam unit with those speakers!

Ok, sorry my reply was a bit short.

When I was looking for my last speaker upgrade I went and had a listen at Nintronics in Welwyn Garden City, not far from where I live.

From how much I wanted to spend narrowed it down to Kef and Monitor Audio Gold. Went and listened to both MA first. Really liked the Gold series, lovely finish as well as lovely sound. However the Kef R series were better to mine and my Mrs ears.

I listened to a stereo pair as I like my music as well as movies.
With the decision made I purchased both the stereo pair and the centre at the same time.

I listened to the R5 but purchased the R3 as I use a sub as well.

Based upon availability I would want to buy the speakers at the same time just in case of availability.

Have you heard the Kef R yet? I think you mentioned in your old posts that you heard 702 S2 which you liked. I would find dealers that has Kef R7, B&W 702 S2 and Revel F206. When you know which of those you like the most then it´s easy to choose the center channel.

Options assuming you got the space: B&W HTM 71 S2, Kef R2c, Revel C208 .

Don´t forget Anthem MRX740 receiver. You have heard Denon/Marantz already and Arcam also. I would pass the AVR10, it has poor amp. AVR20 minium if you buy Arcam unit with those speakers!
Thanks so much for remembering. I had to take a break after trying to read Amirm's audio graphs! They're important, but not for me right now, TMI.

Of the 3 AVRs, Acram's sounds the best. The DAC I'm told? but missing features, has bugs and with your comments, I pass. Marantz too. Denon remains and I'm interested in checking out Anthem and Revel speakers along with the KEFs. Found a shop near me.

Based on Acram's sound appeal, do you feel the Anthem is in that ball park sound wise? Perhaps before I get back in the speaker rabbit hole, I need to settle on an AVR, speakers (to be bought later) and center.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Really appreciate your knowledge and insights.

Thanks so much for remembering. I had to take a break after trying to read Amirm's audio graphs! They're important, but not for me right now, TMI.

Of the 3 AVRs, Acram's sounds the best. The DAC I'm told? but missing features, has bugs and with your comments, I pass. Marantz too. Denon remains and I'm interested in checking out Anthem and Revel speakers along with the KEFs. Found a shop near me.

Based on Acram's sound appeal, do you feel the Anthem is in that ball park sound wise? Perhaps before I get back in the speaker rabbit hole, I need to settle on an AVR, speakers (to be bought later) and center.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Really appreciate your knowledge and insights.

Yes Anthem should be comparable level to Arcam sound quality wise. However your ears will be the final judge. Sadly these premium brands do have some bugs. If you can listen MRX740 in the demo session, do also listen is there any annoying fan noise which has been reported in some cases. NAD T778 could be option too and Yamaha RX-A6A is arriving probably October.

Keep us posted how you find the Kef R7/R11 speakers and Revels F206/F208 with Anthem receiver and if they have either one 4700/7015 then you can compare those to MRX740.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom