Which ceiling speakers for Atmos - choice of 3?

Islandboy1511

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the wharfedale DX-2 5.1 speakers, and will most likely be getting a Denon 2600H (or similar) and I need to get 2 ceiling speakers and I am trying to decide between a choice of 3, all around the same price point:

6.5” Yamaha NS-IC600 £129.00
6.5” Polk Audio RC60i £119.00
6.5” Wharfedale WCM-65 £139.00

The 3 also have moveable tweeters, and i was hoping someone out there may have experience of some of these to help me decide?

I think the Polk are looking favorite, but there is currently a decent discount to be had on the Yamaha's...

Many thanks

I’ve just ordered a pair of Polk RC60i.

Hopefully have them up by next week.

They’ll be replacing a couple of Elac upfirers, so looking forward to hearing them.

Last edited:
I never got a response from my question, but I done some extensive research and plumped for the Polk speakers in the end - really well made, sound great and they were dead easy to fit 😁

I never got a response from my question, but I done some extensive research and plumped for the Polk speakers in the end - really well made, sound great and they were dead easy to fit 😁

When you say 'dead easy to fit' does that include running cable to them because that's surely a real pain in the ass.

We live in a bungalow so they were 'dead easy to fit' 😁
All I had to do were run the cables up a fake chimney breast and over to the holes I cut. If you have rooms above, then I don't know!

We live in a bungalow so they were 'dead easy to fit' 😁
All I had to do were run the cables up a fake chimney breast and over to the holes I cut. If you have rooms above, then I don't know!

Ah ok, yeah a bungalow would certainly help with the wiring 👍

I decide to take the easy option, getting someone to fit mine for me. Not being a DIY person, the hassle and possible expense of fixing anything I would mess up making holes in the ceiling, is well worth the £60 it’s going to cost me. And I won’t have to worry about running the wires anywhere :laugh:

Have you just got the two or have you gone for the full four? Where did you put them? Above the fronts or just in front of the main listening position? There seems to be some debate about it?

I’m planning to go just in front of the MLP.

Have you just got the two or have you gone for the full four? Where did you put them? Above the fronts or just in front of the main listening position? There seems to be some debate about it?

I’m planning to go just in front of the MLP.

In front of the MLP - just the 2 speakers. I have kept the plasterboard cut outs just in case I decide to move them, which would require a bit of filling in I suspect! whilst the effect isn't probably what you would imagine, they do give a more expansive sound field - I have a Denon receiver and a good 7.1 blu ray straight through or using DTS: Neural X is very good with the extra 2 speakers in the mix.
I have a few ultra HD blu rays on order, so I shall await being wowed!!

I'm hoping they'll be an improvement of the upfirers I've currently got on top of my fronts.

Would've liked to go for the full four, but only got my Denon amp about 12-18 months ago and it'll only allow 5.2.1, can't really justify changing it just yet, much as I'd like to upgrade to the Denon 3600 just yet :)

How far to the side of the mlp would you put ceiling speakers ideally?

I'm hoping they'll be an improvement of the upfirers I've currently got on top of my fronts.

Would've liked to go for the full four, but only got my Denon amp about 12-18 months ago and it'll only allow 5.2.1, can't really justify changing it just yet, much as I'd like to upgrade to the Denon 3600 just yet :)
Yep, I've got the Denon 2600 which (for me) was a big enough outlay, and a huge step up from what I had and is very good for what I need :thumbsup:

Yep, I've got the Denon 2600 which (for me) was a big enough outlay, and a huge step up from what I had and is very good for what I need :thumbsup:

I got the 3500, was looking at cheaper options, but stretched myself to get that one as I'd heard so many good things about Denon (not wrong either) it's great and a big step up from the Onkyo I had before.

Can't help but think, I really need the 3600 now though :laugh:

Although, when you add the cost of almost another couple of hundred for 2 more speakers and fitting onto the £700 for the 3600, that's a hell of a wedge, unless the jump from 2 to 4 overhead speakers is massive (please nobody tell me that it is:rotfl:) even if I did manage to recoup some of it selling the 3500.

I got the 3500, was looking at cheaper options, but stretched myself to get that one as I'd heard so many good things about Denon (not wrong either) it's great and a big step up from the Onkyo I had before.

Can't help but think, I really need the 3600 now though :laugh:

Although, when you add the cost of almost another couple of hundred for 2 more speakers and fitting onto the £700 for the 3600, that's a hell of a wedge, unless the jump from 2 to 4 overhead speakers is massive (please nobody tell me that it is:rotfl:) even if I did manage to recoup some of it selling the 3500.

:laugh: my previous receiver was from an Onkyo all in one receiver and 5.1 speaker and was about 10 years old; I upgraded the speakers to the Wharfedale DX 2 first then the Denon 2600 and added in the ceiling speakers - Happy Days!! Just got an Xbox One S to replace the Xbox One I had purely for the UHD blu ray player & 4K streaming. War of the Worlds should be arriving at the weekend, so I am looking forward to testing out the system with that!

How far to the side of the mlp would you put ceiling speakers ideally?
As a rough rule then place them above where your knees would be in a seated position at the MLP. Have them in line with the front left and right.

I’ve just ordered a pair of Polk RC60i.

Hopefully have them up by next week.

They’ll be replacing a couple of Elac upfirers, so looking forward to hearing them.
Hi i hope you dont mind me asking but what was your opinion onte Elac upfirers ,thanks

No worries :thumbsup:

When I first got them I was impressed how much extra they added to the sound.

Difficult to say now as I’ve had them a couple of years and got used to the sound and forgotten what it was like without them.

I’d say for the price they’re great. Always wondered how much better actual in ceiling speakers would sound, finally got the wife to agree:D

So looking forward to hearing how much difference they make.

I’d say if ceiling speakers aren’t an option, upfirers are a decent alternative. Eltac are the only ones I’ve tried though, so not sure how they compare to different priced alternatives.

I should add, I’d swapped from 7.1 to Atmos with the Eltac and I thought the Atmos was noticeably better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom