1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which cd player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kopite, Mar 18, 2003.

1. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right I`m after a cd player as so far my separates system doesntr have one :D

I`m using a yamaha dsp ax 630 receiver and eltac floor stander speakers(gonna change these for quad 11L`s at somne point)

I have been asking in some stores and have got a list of 3 units so now I need a little help from you guys.

the choices are

Marantz 6000 limited edition(ks series I think the bloke said)

Arcam 72

Nad cd541

My price range is 300-350 so if anyone has ideas of a better player than those listed then feel free to say.

So come on guys what should I get?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Arcam is a very good player,and also upgradeable to the CD92 spec with dCS Ring Dacs if required at a later date....well worth considering.
    The Marantz KI series Cd players also have a very good reputation and good sound,albeit a little soft,so may be useful in bright sounding systems.
    My choice out of these 2 would be the Arcam,due to the upgrade path and sound quality,and also worth considering is having a look through ebay,and the exdem sites.

3. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    any thoughts on the nad unit?

IF music tastes are needed then it will be used for listneing to stuff like

flaming lips, Leanord cohen, savage garden, dance/ house music and some rocky/grungy stuff

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Arcam CD72T yum but more than your budget (£450). Be careful if someone has a CD72 still - discontinued some time ago, but they werevery good machines from what I understand.

Rotel do a smashing player RCD-02 for £380 but you should be able to haggle a dealer down to £350.

I've got an Arcam CD72T on loan at the moment and I am very much in love with it and I don't want to give it back. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music and it doesn't seem to have any major flaws (when pushed hard by some frantic Wagner things became a little unclear but that's probably the recording or my cloth ears)

Can I also mention that your 630 will be the weakest link in such a setup (I have the RXV630). I bought a Rotel RA-02 for stereo duties (pre-outs from the 630 to RA-02 for movies) and the difference is staggering - far more than the difference in cd playbnack between the CD72T & my pioneer 656 dvd player. £250 or less will buy you a good integrated amp

5. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah i know at my 630 will be the weakest link but I will upgrade that at a later time.

The price of 350 is just a starting point and knowing me will jump before I finally buy one.
    (I went from a 50 quid digi cam to a 350 quid one and when i bought the receiver i went from a 200 to the 350 quid for the yamaha)

SO lets say a price limit of 500 at the absolute top

6. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The suggestion above is that you spend the £500 by buying a stereo amp and a CD player. Go s/h on both.

Dont consider upgrading the Yammy until you are unhappy with it for HC purposes.

ditton

7. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Absolutely agree with Wilber that you won't do the CD player - any CD player - justice without a good stereo amp. On choice of CD, it's hard to go wrong with Arcam. Personally I don't like Marantz - had two and found them bland. But many people swear by them. NAD are OK but I find their "rich" sound not truthful enough. However, again many people love them.Strongly recommend you have a good listen to all and see what suits you best. Also that you listen to them at the same volume, which is not necessarily the same volume settings. Good hunting!

8. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right Here`s what I`m getting at.

I will be getting a stereo amp later on but I`d rather get the best cd player for the cash now instead of getting a cd player and a stereo amp now.

I have the receiver which may not do it justice but will suffice until I get a dedicated amp.

so for under 500 whats the best? Do i take it that arcam 72t is the ppls choice here?

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well if you're going to £500 ...... Roksan, sh cd82t. Seriously tho if this is your course of acton CD72T is hard to fault - great player and upgradable (get a stereo amp tho :devil: even if it means not having the slightly over rated quads - monitor audio silver for £100 less Kef Q1s (my choice) - £150 less, B&W 601 S3 (my choice if size hadn't mattered) £150 less)

10. kopite

kopite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Arcam 72t then.

i`ll go along to seven oaks and see if I can get a demo of it.

I`ll have a look at rocksan as well hehe.