1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which CD player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rlm, Mar 4, 2005.

1. rlm

rlm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's time for another 'which one should I buy???????!!!!!' thread. Basically I need a new CD player to go with my HIFI (In sig) and am torn between the Marantz CD7300 and the NAD C542.

I have heard very good things about the Marantz and feel that it might have the better sound reproduction of the two. However the NAD supports the HDCD(D'oh!) format and is also suppose to be a very good player, both have one awards with various magazines and are very similar prices, £269.95 for the Marantz and £279.95 for the NAD. So basically my question is has anyone else here had any experience with these two amps?

I do intend on going to a HIFI shop to listen to them, but I would like some other user opinions first as I am really unsure as to which one to get. I will be upgrading my amp from my PM4400 to a 7400 in the next couple of months but will be keeping my amazing B&W speakers.

I listen to mainly rock music, ranging from heavy (Black Label Society, Metallica) to various things like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Maroon 5 and the like. So please, any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, also if you have any suggestions as to what else I could get then please let me know. I guess that if i HAD TO I could go up to about £350-£400.

Also I know relatively little about the HDCD format, I know it is in competition with SACD but is either one emerging as a clear winner and is one soon to be wiped from the market or do they both seem to be here to stay?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Both are very good units although unless you really need MP3 playback, the NAD outperforms the Marantz. You might also want to consider the Cambridge Audio 640C as most reviews put it extremely close to the NAD (and the better of the Marantz) for a bit less cash.

Alternatively go 2nd hand and buy a Marantz CD6000KI for £200 (for a good one) that will still show all these players the way home.

3. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree totally with tons of fun, the cd6000Ki really is a great machine and can show these player how its done. Thats my opinion but i have heard all three of the mentioned players. The Nad gives a nice solid presentation especially with bass but lacks the finesse of the 7300 which is really smooth sounding. The Ki delivers thrills and refinement in spades, a 2nd hand bargain. The older cd63Ki is meant to be even better but i have not heard it so cannot comment. Those are cheaper still but what i find with marantz products is that they have a habit of going wrong but so far non of my marantz products have had major probs except the remote for my 1st cd6000 kept randomising tracks and the pm7200 had no sound coming out of the right terminal of speaker A output but ive used speaker B since ive had it and its fine. Another good cd player to look out for is the Arcam cd82.

HtHs
    Zoo

4. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The NAD supports HDCD, not SACD. HDCD is an "audiophile" CD encoding at a 20 bit instead of 16 bit depth. It was invented by Microsoft. Such recordings are generally quite good sonically. However, it is a very limited catalogue (more limited than SACD). NAD makes a DVD player with DVD-A capability, but they do not support SACD at this time (though hybrid SACDs, which have a standard CD layer, will play on the NAD CD player, though only at standard CD resolution).

5. rlm

rlm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys, any idea where I can get one second hand from? I tried the usual ebay etc but to no avail. Really no idea why I wrote SACD instead of HDCD, I knew it was HDCD but anyway. It looks like I will go for the NAD if I can't find a decent second hand set, I however still remain skeptical about second hand units, lazer life etc.

I will soon have my speakers on stands, its been a crime having them on the desk and filing cabinet, hopefully this new setup will make a difference, its currently a set of B&W 602s3's going though a PM4400. The next think I will be looking for is a amp for upto £500, but thats another days story.

Thanks for the help so far.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I don't think you will see an improvement by changing your CDP (what are you using currently, your sig isn't showing?). I'd change the amp.

7. whiteflyer

whiteflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it was not

HDCD technology was originally developed by Keith Johnson and Pflash Pflaumer, two pre-eminent technologists in the audio arena. In 1996, they founded Pacific Microsonics, Inc. (PMI), a California-based audio technology licensing company, in order to improve the quality of digital audio recordings and playback while remaining compatible with established digital formats.

Microsoft bought Pacific out in 2000.

True, but this depends on the sort of music you buy HDCD seems to have been taken up by Nashville more than anywhere else. There does seem to be quite a few country album using HDCD now.

Opps, just had another look at the HDCD site, and the list and styles of music avaliable is growing fast, even that list in not complete.
    [​IMG]

8. rlm

rlm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I am currently using a Yamada DVX-6100 to play my CD's, its my old DVD player and isnt especially good for DVD's even. I am looking to get a Marantz PM7200 amp wise so hopefully that might make the difference, however I am still totally lost with those even since I dont know if I could get something a whole lot better for my budget of £500 for amp.

I am fairly certain I do not want to go onto the second hand market.