1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which CD player???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MS-Yam, Nov 4, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I would like some help with my next upgrade if possible. Firstly here's my system:

DVD player: Yamaha S540
    AV Amp: Yamaha 640SE
    Speakers: Mordaunt-Short Avant setup (906, 905c, 902, 308 sub)

My previous DVD players (NAD and Cambridge Audio) were better with sound quality, but I sold these for different reasons.

I want to keep the S540 as it is the best player i've had for PQ and build. As I am after good stereo performance I need a dedicated CD player (and perhaps a stereo amp later on!).

I have two options:

1. Go for an Arcam CD72 (£400) and use with my Yamaha AV amp (which would then be the let down) but I could always get the matching amp later.
    2. Get a budget CD player and stereo amp together for less money than the Arcam CD player alone. Something like the NAD C521BEE and C320BEE (together for only £330).

The only query I have with option 2 is connectivity to my existing amp. How would I go about this? Is it straight forward enough??

However, the Mordaunt-Short speakers are quite bright sounding so I dont want to match them with a bright sounding CD and AMP.

Ideally the CD/Amp will be of a high standard build quality if possible, as I cant be doing with cheap plasticy tat (i have experienced this with cheap dvd players). This may be a lot to ask in the budget end, I dont know?

I would appreciate any comments, advice, or recommendations on different equipment, baring in mind the CD/AMP must be in silver to match my AV gear.

One other thing - I used to have a Marantz CD63 which I was very happy with. How will this compare to the newest version CD5400? or CD5400OSE?

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    All things considered I would be adding a DAC to your setup before a Int. CD Player, of course your AV Pre will hinder stereo and a stereo amp would be better, Do a search on this hifi forum for DAC and read all the opinions.

For example there is a MF X-24K + X-PSU on www.hififorsale.com for £200, I cant think of any £200 CDP I would have in front of that.

ATB

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply CJROSS, but to be perfectly honest, I've never looked into anything other than basic hifi components i.e. CD player, integrated amp etc..

I am therefore clueless where DACs, AV Pre etc. are concerned.

However, I obviously want the best sound quality I can get with my money, and I would really appreciate if you would explain to me the differences of CD players to DACs etc in more of an "idiot guides to hifi" way.

Thanks a lot.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Start by reading the sticky at the top of the page dude. And do a few searches. You own a DVD player already, this would be your transport into a DAC. Have a peruse of the board as I say and examine this option.

5. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers CJ, i've had a skim through the sticky you mentioned, interesting stuff. I did read towards the end of the thread though, that nowadays even budget CD players have decent transport, and that for the price you may as well get a complete CD player.

You seem to know what you're talking about though, so i'm definately still looking into a DAC.

Can you point me in the right direction to finding a suitable DAC for my system. I have looked on the RS sight (for the Cambridge Audio ones) and other sites i.e Superfi, but I cant seem to find any. Are there any retailers websites you could recommend mate? Also, how much would I need to spend on a DAC to compete with, say a £300 CD player?

Thanks for the help!

6. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    Good advice, but if you dont want to go down the DAC route, I would consider what you already mentioned - the NAD combo, excellent gear at a good price. To throw another spanner in the works, how about the Cambridge gear?
    Markie Boy

7. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I used to have an Azur 540D dvd player, which I was a bit disappointed with after reading all the hype, and had to take it back cos certain subtitles didnt come up. So I havent really thought of going for CA.

So you think if I go down this route I would be better of going for a CD and amp, rather than something along the lines of an Arcam CD72 CDP?

I'm just a bit confused as to the cabling side of it. Is it simply a case of connecting the stereo amp to the AV amp and away you go? Would I then use the stereo amp's controls i.e. for volume etc..? Would I simply just have both amps turned on, but not really touch the AV amp, apart from selecting the input? I'm confused, sorry

8. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys? Can anbody else recommend any particular DAC for my system, and the best online retailers to look for these?

Or any other options for my situation?

Cheers

9. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dac is nowadays back in trend, in particular combination of dvd player and dac. However there is some issue of complication, e.g. running two digital outputs from dvd player, swtiching over output setups manually, some caution, etc.
    See the following thread. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41923

Recently I considered a purchase of dac but end of day bought another cd player.

My advice is unless you go into a dac route, which I believe is your completely new exploration, to get Arcam cd72 for a start. You can get a 2nd hand from ebay for 200ish. I also sold mine recently which was very good in stereo, also not overly bright.

Don't forget to add a decent interconnect as well, i.g. Van den hul or QED ranges. of cause used from CDP to av amp cd input. I am sure you will get some improvement in stereo area.

Later if your buget allows you could consider adding a stereo amp. Again you will find a reasonably good 2nd hand amp for 200ish rather then throwing your money into budget cdp and amp together.

There are a few threads with regard to how to connect stereo amp to av amp. You could search and find sufficient information or other members will advice you of suitable threads when you make your mind.

10. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot William, actually it's funny you mentioned 2nd hand Arcam CD players - I was looking on eBay last night and you're right, there are a couple on there at the minute going for around £200. I am a bit wary though of spending this kind of money on 2nd hand equipment i.e. if sonething goes wrong, theres absolutely nothing I can do about it. As a rough guide, what would you say the life span of a decent CD player is nowadays?

Thanks,

11. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Arcam is using Sony transport, which is quite reliable. Normally 400 pounds or more cdps last a few years without any problems. The only problem is a laser lense. In some cheap dvd or cd players the lense doesn't last long either getting dust or reading error. Of cause it depends on listening environment (dust free, smoke free), usage, careness, etc. Mine was running for over 3 years and 7months before sold. It had never had a single problem. Also still a few Arcam alpha series are for sale on ebay, I guess they are 5~6 years old.

Most standard manufacturer warantee is one year. Most cdp won't break within a year anyway. So it's up to your luck. Whether it is a brand new or 2nd hand it could go wrong any time if they are faulty.

I spoke to MF dealer experienced for 40 years and he said he hasn't had any return or repair for MF cdps.

If possible you better check what kind of seller it is, e.g. checking other items they are selling or sold in the past. If they are a genuine hifi listener and selling due to a upgrade, it could be safer than buying from people who are selling all kinds of junk stuff.

12. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Sorry MS I seem to have missed this query above :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162279

HTHs, step away from the £300 CD player bro and place your hands on a £300 DAC I implore you :D