1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which cd player Arcam cd72 /Rotel 02 is better than Tosh 900e

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by I am maximus, Aug 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all
    I have just started to listen to a lot of music and feel maybe that a seperate cd player would be better than the Tosh 900e dvd player that I have.I like the reviews of the Arcam cd62/72 and have seen the new Rotel 02 model approx price £379,has anyone got either of these players or could give me an idea of the comparison of the Tosh's performance as in spek etc any ideas would be very gratefully recieved in advance.I have a Sony VA555ES AMP ,B/w 603 S3 fronts and rears,Rel q150 subwoofer,I connect the Tosh by digital coaxial and analogue 2 and 6 channel outputs.thanks in advance I am maximus
    ps.can anyone recommend a place and price buy either

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43325

Read this thread dude, trust me on this Maximus adding a DAC to your Toshiba 900 (a lovely player BTW) will absolutely blow away the sound from a CD62/CD72 IMHO. I know of about 20 odd people who have bought the TAG DAC 20 direct from TAG and they haev been more than pleased. Will take your CD playback option well into £1000+ territory IMHO. It evens decodes up to 48 Khz, I find its DVD-V abilities in 2 channel superb. Do a search above on DAC and read the threads here.

I replaced my old MF X-24 DAC (same DAC as the £800 X-Ray) and there was a noticeable improvement FWIW.

HTHs

3. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    Thankyou very much for the quick reply ,are u saying that the analogue outputs of the Tosh 900e are superior if they are used into the tag.Plus is the tag a processor? I generally get confused when I get quoted model nos sorry to be thick.I believe once that I read a review that said the Tosh has the 96/24 dts new soundfield built in already to all 6 channels,and finally which leads would connect the two?
    thanks again I am maximus

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Right Maximus

DAC is not a processor as your thinking, Digital to Analogue Convertor, generally when one sees a DAC mentioned on its own like the DAC 20 it is a 2 channel stereo convertor, ie for music duties which works in PCM mode, you can send Bitstream into a PCM DAC but the 5.1 mix is "Downmixed" into stereo PCM ie condensed, IMO the word Processor is a multi task (Dolby Surround, 5.1, DTS, THX, Etc Etc) device like an AV Amp or AV Pre-Amp which works in Bitstream/DTS/PCM.

First off you asked about a separate CD box to play music instead of the Tosh, so what I have suggested is adding an offboard DAC rather than another box, the reason I have done this is that you will get a better level of performance using a DAC like the TAG DAC 20 than a £400-1000 CDP because you are not in fact paying for the transport cost again (read the Sticky at the top of the forum for DAC info) this is especially a good idea when you already have a DVD-V player in place which you can use as a slave for CD duties, sending a coaxial signal from the Tosh 900 to the DAC 20 then analogue ICs from the DAC to your chosen Amp. The reason for this being that you want the DAC to do the music digital to analogue conversion/processing rather than the Amp.

Again do a search on DAC in these forums, your query has been asked a couple of times. Finally FWIW I believe you wont get better CD performance from a CDP in the range you thinking of compared to the Tosh 900 which is generally regarded as being a musical DVD player my thinking is that you would need to go above £800 CDPs to get a noticable difference IMHO. But adding a DAC to the player will give you a very nice taste of high end audio for the same outlay as you were going to spend on a £400ish Int. CDP.

I believe you currently connect the Tosh via its 5.1 outputs for DVD-A (I assume) so you would need another set of IC from the DAC 20 into (preferrably) the CD Line input or Aux input on the Sony Amp, this means you will still keep the Tosh for DVD-A & DVD-V 5.1 via these connection but once you listen to CD you will switch to the CD line input on the Amp. Finally I would change your digital outputs on the Tosh around, use the Coaxial for CD Music duties into the DAC and use the toslink optical connection for DD 5.1 & DTS bitstream when watching DVD-Vs.

Im not sure if the Sony 555 ES decodes the new 24/96 DTS signals not many do Max. Im pretty sure that a DTS signal can only be sent down a digital output unless as you say the Tosh decodes it internally prior to streaming down the 6 anlg outs (feel free to correct me anybody) I genreally dont advise you to try a DTS signal through a 2 channel PCM DAC like the DAC 20, I once listened to my old DAC frying my speakers tweeters with a pure DTS signal from my Pioneer DVD-V transport they survived just but DTS signal should only ever be sent to a 5.1 AV processor IMHO.

HTHs and of course all IMHO dude.