which card

mickey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys which would you think would be best as a card for using with hi-def movies, a bfg geforce gt6600oc or an ati 9600xt not interested in games so just want the most user friendly card to use, is the bfg overkill for an htpc?. ps comp spec... amd 64 3000+ , 1gb ddr400 memory. cheers Mike

I've heard great things about the nVidia cards and VMR9 Renderless with nVidia codecs; so for image quality I would probably get one of those but it also depends on the screen your connecting to. S-Video is out of the question but if you have VGA D-Sub or DVI on your display you should be fine with a 6600 if not then the VGA to RGB Scart on the Radeon is your best bet.

The 9600 are solid performers and were the standard for HTPC last year (fanless units) but that seems to have been superseeded somewhat by the 6600 range from nVidia. I have personal experience with both cards although I use a 9800 Pro for my HTPC (RGB Scart jobbie); I've found the ATI card better with overlay than VMR9 with a great picture through the newest PowerDVD codec on DVDs.

For Hi-Def I would fork out for the 6600 personally.

Hi, i should of been more clear,first it is to connect to an ae700 projector, I already have both these cards the 9600 in my lads comp and the 6600 in my pc, i used the ati for a few weeks and i liked the fact there was a force 720 or 1080 setting in the graphic card options, I cannot find such a setting on the nvidia card yet , my lcd monitor doesnt like 1280x720 at all so its a problem not being able to use my lcd monitor while the vidio plays on my pj. but back to what you say You think I should persevere with the 6600 and try to get it set up proper , i cant quite get the hang of this dualview thing. cheers Mike

From what I've heard the 6600 is the way to go, particularly on HD displays. You might have to fiddle with the custom timings offered within the nVidia drivers, or perhaps powerstrip to get everything just right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom