Which car racing game on Wii?

Alan Paterson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the world of Wii, having just bought a Wii bundle with WiiFit Plus and balance board for my other half. As much as she seems keen to have it, I'm sure it'll last a few weeks then be ignored, so I thought I'd get a car racing game to have some fun with.
But which one?
I'd like one that gives you the choice of car eg Aston, Ferrari, Lambo and different circuits. I'd like one that responds to the controls accurately. Should I get a Wii wheel as well?
Dumb questions I'm sure, but hoping for some advice to save time and disappointment.

Many thanks

Alan

So, 23 views but nobody wants to share their knowledge?

Alan

Alan there are already a couple of threads here talking about racing games on the Wii such as this one: http://www.avforums.com/forums/wii-...truck-excitebots-monster-4x4-stunt-racer.html

As far as racing games containing officially licensed car manufacturers/models goes, I think you'll struggle to find many apart from the new Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and Ferrari Challenge.

There are quite a few racing games in general though on the Wii and the thread I mentioned has some great examples.

I'd start with these:

Mario Kart Wii (this one is a must)
Formula 1 2009 or Ferrari Challenge (if you want something a bit more realistic)
Excite Truck or Monster 4x4 Stunt Racer (racing where you have to pull of various stunt moves)
Need For Speed Nitro (pure arcade style racer)

Trackmania also great if you like time based challenges and plenty others seem to like Need For Speed Carbon and/or Need For Speed Underground.

Finally, if you have a GameCube controller, Burnout 2 for the GameCube puts many (if not all) Wii racing games to shame (both graphically and gameplay wise) and is simply fabulous. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 also on the GameCube comes a close second.

Thanks guys,
That's the kind of information I was needing.
I've gone for Ferrari Challenge to start with, so we'll see how I get on.
I've also gone for a wheel.

I had to 'test' the WiiFit Plus last night, just to make sure it was working okay and have sore feet, ankles and knees today - so it must be doing some good.

I've ordered a component lead to improve the picture quality too.

I've never been into gaming in the past, but that may be about to change.

Alan

Do let us know what you think of Ferrari Challenge :smashin:

rally racer:thumbsup: f1:smashin: i have had a ps3 and x box so i know how bad the graphics are on the wii but for a good car game rally racer for me is the best so far, i have quite a few car games but always go back to these two one thing if you want to win the f1 race dont bother you have no chance the nearest i got to being f1 champ is 5th it is very hard to win:hiya:

I found Tiff Needell got on my wick after I'd shot off the track for the umpteenth time with 'Ferrari Challenge'. The effect is nothing like driving a sports car on a track, so it's no surprise that many 'new drivers' wrap their car around a lamp post.
'Need for Speed - Pursuit' is much more fun, due to the other crazy drivers and the sheer hooligan element to it. I'd never drive my own car in this way in real life due to huge repair bills, but in a game .....:D

Alan

'Need for Speed - Pursuit' is much more fun, due to the other crazy drivers and the sheer hooligan element to it.
Alan

That's interesting, yours is one of only a very few positive review for NFS Hot Pursuit on the Wii. Game is currently available for a little more than a tenner so I might get that although I was going to go for NFS Nitro instead.

I'm quite new to gaming, so am not as much of a connoisseur as others. I was comparing it to 'Ferrari Challenge' in terms of fun and entertainment value as that's the only other racing game I have. I've played many more times than FC though.
Alan

I'd start with these:

Mario Kart Wii (this one is a must)
Formula 1 2009 or Ferrari Challenge (if you want something a bit more realistic)
Excite Truck or Monster 4x4 Stunt Racer (racing where you have to pull of various stunt moves)
Need For Speed Nitro (pure arcade style racer)

Trackmania also great if you like time based challenges and plenty others seem to like Need For Speed Carbon and/or Need For Speed Underground.

Finally, if you have a GameCube controller, Burnout 2 for the GameCube puts many (if not all) Wii racing games to shame (both graphically and gameplay wise) and is simply fabulous. Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 also on the GameCube comes a close second.

Blur will also be good

I'm hoping there'll be a rival Oasis game released on the same day.

That is genius.

OFF TOPIC: (Oh crud, were we supposed to be on GH/RB tonight?) :blush:

Sonic All star racing is not bad, keeps you interested for a couple of weeks, the controls are as good as Mario Kart

Excite Truck for me everytime. Quality title that I got months of enjoyment out of.

Hi Everyone !! Thank you for the advice, I had a nice time reading everything and it helped me a lot :) ! Have a nice day !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excite Truck for me everytime. Quality title that I got months of enjoyment out of.

Same, in the end I think I enjoyed Excite Truck and Excite Bots even more than MarioKart Wii, although it would be a close call. Excite Truck for single player, Excite Bots for multi.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom