Which car for wifes 30th Birthday?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Arcam_boy, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Hello.

Its the wifes 30th next year :arty: and I've promised her a new car as although her current Civic Type S (60 Plate) is a lovely car its so slow its embarrassing :rolleyes:

I've already got a car so it'll be for the wife only, we don't have any kids and have no intentions of having any. Mileage is around 6k a year so not very high. Don't want anything silly on fuel or tax as thats the reason I sold my R32 Golf :nono:

Absolute max budget is £30k although a little less would be nice. We'll want something no older than 12 months with less than 10k on the clock really.

At the moment we've looked at...

Audi TT 2.0 - S-line / Black edition and TT-S
    VW Golf Golf R
    VW Beetle 2.0 TFSI < :rolleyes: Not my choice
    VW EOS 2.0 TFSI < Again not too sure but looks quite nice
    Mini Cooper S Coupe
    Scirocco R

I've suggested a slightly older / higher mileage Porsche Boxster or Cayman but she's adamant she doesn't want a porsche! She's expressed an interest in the Peugeot RCZ but at the moment I've managed to persuade her to stick to the VAG group. She's not a big fan of BMW either so the 1 and 3 series haven't been looked at.

Cheers
    Mark

2. gamingboy

gamingboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    If you've got that budget to spend on a car and will be doing so little miles I don't see the point in worring about tax and fuel. Tax is once a year. 20-25 mpg isn't a problem either. No point in spending that money on a ecobox or something with similar credentials.

It sounds like it will be used little and speed, comfort and luxury are important.

All depend on the exact criteria. New, or second hand, two seater, soft top etc.

For something fun to drive with resonable pace you have the Toyota GT86. Or even the 370z. Although the 350 is deemed to be the better car by some.

You have the new Z4. Folding hardtop. Very nice car.

An S5 either an early V8, or later V6, or even an A5 with the 3.0tdi if economy is a big deal. Although you pay for the diesel engine. Nice big coupe with pace to cruise around in.

Again you have the usual suspects for fun - An MX5 etc.

Sounds like a Cooper (S), may possibly be the car. Can have it pretty much how she wants and has some pace whilst being newer/new.

3. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    The lastest SLK 200/250, i love the look of these cars.

My first choice would of been the sDrive Z4 or 370Z as thats what i'd go for if i had £20k+

4. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Thanks for the reply.

Not really worrying about fuel, although not really skimping either as the I don't think you can really class any of the above cars as eco :rolleyes:

The A5 is a good call actually and we've not considered one of those yet although the 2.0 turbo should be more than enough for her I think :devil:

Already ruled out the z4 as she doesn't want a BMW, 350Z is too old now although sounds very nice, 370 is nice but a 3.7ltr is a little excessive and not sure on Nissan interiors although I'd like to be proven wrong.

This is the current winner although she's yet to test drive one....Used Cars - 2011 Volkswagen Eos MK2 2.0 TSI Exclusive DSG Cabriolet Rising Blue Metallic

Thanks again.

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    Golf GTi Convertible or Scirocco R, metal folding roofs are a bit meh IMO, and the EOS is well past its sell by now the beautiful golf cab is out.

I know you said no BMW but for £29,995 you can get the outstanding M135i

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,928
    Only one car on that list. The Scirocco R. Quite rare on the road and awesome. Get it and if she doesn't like it I'll happily swap my Scirocco GT 170 for it.

7. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    RCZ is basically the same car as a Mini Roadster/Coupe ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  8. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    I've tried pushing for the Golf R having previously owned an R32 mkV but ones in our budget are a little older and higher mileage than some of the others. We've seen a couple of nice rocco R's. When they first come out she wife loved them but now she's totally gone off them :facepalm: I still think there stunning so I dunno.

I've spoke to the VW Garage, with the Eos, but I always feel a little deflated after speaking to a salesman. He just seemed to want the £1000 deposit to take it off sale. I really wouldn't want to leave a £1000 without seeing it in the 'flesh/metal' first and we wouldn't be able to get down to London for a few days.

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,928
    My neighbour's sister had a brand new Eos a couple of years ago. Had a serious problem with leaks which VW failed to fix. She only took the car out in the dry, top down and kept it in the garage for most of it's time with her because she loved driving it.

Put it in for a Golf GTD, luckily for her at the start of this wonderful summer.

10. deantown

deantown
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Tell your Mrs to try the BMW 3 series my other half has one and she Loves it. Built like a Tank,Fast and good on Fuel and its Auto. Drives lovely in Town or Motorway. Apparentley the New Series3 is the Best ever and thats what we'll be Buying next.

11. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Thanks for the reply Dean.

As you can probably tell some of the choices she's made certainly wouldn't be mine but its going to be her car and birthday present which means to a degree I've got to let her make the final decision.

I really like the idea of a Porsche Cayman myself but for some unknown reason she really doesn't like Porsche and doesn't want a BMW which I would of also happily entertained :thumbsup:

12. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Current gen S4, its only a 3L engine so not to bad on fuel (don't mention the supercharger), 4WD, 330bhp, and £30K will get a nice example. Its a league above the likes of Golfs/Scirocco in regards to performance, and will make a EOS look like a shopping chart:D....

For some reason I really like the Golf R too, came close to signing on the dotted line for a brand new one, but at the end of the day its only a Golf with the old S3 engine, and VW wants £££ for one with no chance of any discount :(

13. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    What about going silly a bit? If you can go a bit older you could get a 2008 Jaguar XK with around 15000 miles on the clock...

14. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    A5 cabriolet would be my choice.

Also don't let mileage on most cars put you off, as she see to do low mileage within a few years it will equal out.

I would also book a test drive on a Porsche see if you can trick her into liking it once she's experienced it

15. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    What about a GT86?

16. gtsiwak

gtsiwak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maseratti -pref. Grand turismo .but you can pick up quatroporte for peanuts this days .nothing beats white grand turismo with fire red lether

17. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    A 12 month old Maseratti for under £30k, sign me up.

18. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    I know I think one or two of the suggestions have missed the criteria by a good way.

Jag XK is stunning however its a 4.2 engine and a 2008 model is too old.

A 12 month old Maseratti will be way over our budget I'd imagine and the running costs too much to stomach!!

I probably should of said a 2.0 turbo is plenty that way it shouldn't be too bad on fuel or tax. Anything with 200 - 250bhp will be plenty for the wife.

I've not even considered the GT86 or had a look at one but will show her some pics tomorrow and see what she thinks!

19. gtsiwak

gtsiwak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ben dealing with supercars for a whole now and you be amaized how good on petrol some of them are .but if not masser then there is always a range rover ,turbo diesel ,automatic.you can go wrong with range.even if you buy older one the body kit (around 2500 pounds) transform it to latest model.

20. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    We couldn't afford to run a Maserati, do they not need a new clutch after every few thousand miles and pretty high maintenance? I'm sure with our budget we'd be lucky to get one with much manufactures warranty left plus as I've said she doesn't need a 400bhp car!

We've not looked at range rovers as there way to big for what she wants, although she does really like the evoque.

No more super car suggestions please as we couldn't afford the annual running costs and I don't think the wife needs to go from a 100bhp 1.4 civic to a 400bhp 4.2 v8!!

21. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Im a big fan of the evoque. Especially in 3 door b

22. sheriffwoody

sheriffwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    Lotus Elise S2?

23. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    My wife was delighted when I bought her this. We're both still enjoying it, still getting mid 40's despite enthusiastic driving, insurance is a whisker over £200, tax I think is £120 and it's depreciating slower than its petrol brethren. A good friend has a Cayman and was surprised at the TT's pace. It's the mid range torque that's so enjoyable. This one took a while to find with just about every conceivable extra fitted, including magnetic ride.

24. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Thanks DRD that's lovely is it the 170bhp diesel?

We've not really considered diesel due to the low miles we do but they do seem to hold their value quite well and £120 a year tax is certainly a good thing :)

25. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    I had a diesel TT coupe absolute beauty of a car and beauty of an engine. Went on a road trip to Austria then down to south of Italy and back and averaged 44.7mpg for the entire 2.5k miles including cruising at 100mph+ on the German autobahn and painfully slow routes in Italian traffic and the Amalfi coast.

The car easily did mid 50s on economic drives yet felt very quick, plenty of boot space and a pleasure to be in so I can highly recommend it. I sold mine for a Cayman as I didn't need 2 diesel cars, but I do miss it.

Your comment about miles is spot on because you get the extra premium back when you sell it.

You must be able to haggle hard on a used one given that its nearing the end of its product cycle. 1.5 years left I believe.

edit: Forgot to add all the diesels came with 4wd which made the handling exceptional and a lot of fun, but will also keep your wife out of trouble. I used mine for a ski season and with winter tyres on it was as good as anything until you realise the car has very little ground clearence. I drove into our uncleared drive out there once and suddenly realised I had become a snowplough.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  26. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes, 170bhp, 4wd. It recently went to Audi for its second MOT and they wanted to buy it off us! No chance. It's only done just over 25,000 miles at 4yrs old but we've never had any problems with the dpf despite various worrying reports from other sources. I suppose it rarely gets used around town so the exhaust gets fairly hot.

27. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Can I just ask......
    Can I be your wife? As its Xmas soon and I can think of a lot of cars you could by me princess xxx

28. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
  29. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    Pm me some pics and I'll let you know ;-)

30. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    :rolleyes: