Which capture card for freeview and vhs backup?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Which capture card for freeview and vhs backup?
    I need a capture card to first record and burn my old vhs movie's via s-video to DVD, and also the luxury of recording freeview on my pc for if I need Permanently keep a recording.
    I have looked at hauppauge but they only seem to offer vhs capture with their analogue cards.
    Is there a card which offers freeview and vhs capture below £70?

Than ks for any help.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Or could someone recommend just a capture card with no tuner to record via s-video for dvd burning at 720x576.
    I just tested an old pinnacle card I have on the wife's pc and the best was pretty low :(

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I bought a Pinaccle PCTV Rave for 30 pounds. The drivers that came with it were very poor and limited me to capturing at 320x240.

Uninstall the TV card drivers and install this instead:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/btwincap/btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8.zip?download

Then run a program like iuVCR (search Google) and set it up to capture at the resolution you want. That worked for me, even although I thought I'd bought a duff capture card.

You could then use a SCART to S-Video adapter and connect a Freeview box that could output an S-Video signal to the card, but you may want to look into getting a card with a dedicated Digital TV tuner on it so you can directly record the MPEG-2 streams from over the air instead of putting them through a Digital to Analogue (and back again) conversion. With the quality of most Freeview broadcasts though, I wouldn't bother.