Which canon ixus model??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by g40steve, Jan 15, 2008.

1. g40steve

g40steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seen ixus 70 £120+, yet seen 950 for £180.

Whats the best point & shoot???

Thanks.

2. paul9619

paul9619

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi, having been doing quite a bit of research myself recently probably the best value for money seems to be the IXUS 75.

But have a look at the review site here

http://www.cameras.co.uk

A very good source. I especially like the video reviews

3. md644

md644

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  4. julian_fraser

julian_fraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I got the wife the Ixus 75 for her birthday a fortnight ago in the sales. It's a cracking camera capable of producing some REALLY sharp images. I've got a D40 and wanted her to have something ultra-pocketable and up-to-scratch picture-wise for when I don't want to bring the Nikon out with us.

It has a 3cm Macro capability and in good light is cracking. Also, the programmable Manual mode allows you to set WB, colour (VIVID etc), flash and ISO to your needs. I've set one of the "quick" buttons to change WB in this programmable mode so now, along with the rocker-dial at the back, have everything at your fingertips (ISO, flash, macro/landscape) to be able to change settings on a shot-by-shot basis if need be.

Have also recently raised the ISO to 400 instead of AUTO which was invariable choosing 200. 400 ISO produces great shots with little noticeable noise and this now allows a faster shutter speed in lower light (I really don't think it performs well without the flash in low light). It has a massive LCD screen and some really good modes in the Manual mode again which allows you to choose a prominent colour in your shot and then shoot black and white APART from that colour!

Note: IMO the pictures are below average in low light. I haven't tried it myself but the Image Stabiliser (IS) on the 850/950 models has to be a bonus. Wife hasn't really taken it out anywhere yet but here are some indoor examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd agree with Julian.
    I bought one for my wife for Christmas, and as well as the good quality pics we've so far got from it, our video camera hasn't been out of it's case since Christmas day. The 75 is just as good so why bother.

Hmm... I feel an ebay sale coming on!;)

6. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    My missus just got a Ixus 860IS - the G7 was too bulky - and it's a great little snapper. :)