1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Canon? D60, 10D or 20D

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wbessada, Jan 5, 2005.

1. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm thinking of getting a digi SLR and as I have a couple of Canon lenses I'd like to reuse so I'm considering a used D60 or 10d. I could stretch to a 20d but don't think I need the bleeding edge features.

I've been offered a D60 at £400 and a 10D at £550 - just wanted to get advice from people who have experience of these two cameras as to whether it's worth paying the extra for the 10D? My main concern on the D60 is comments I've seen that the auto focusing is slow? From what I've seen there's not much difference in the pic quality between the two. Are there any other factors worth considering?

Thanks for your help!
    William

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

20D comes with rave reviews, thats my want at the moment, im really after one of these

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    D60 is quite old tech now - have you considered the EOS 300D? Sits somewhere inbetween the two.

4. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Whilst the D60 lags behind in features it will give pretty similar picture quality to the 10D or 300D, unless you are blowing up to 20 x 16 or larger. At £400 it's a good buy and far better built than the 300D :smashin:

As for the auto focus it's only a problem if you are shooting motor sport or similar. It's fine for landscapes, candids etc.

5. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for all your help - I had considered the 300D but would rather have a non plastic version as I don't have particularly steady hands and think the extra weight may help.

witters, I've since read more D60 reviews that say the autofocus isn't so bad too. incidentally what are the photos on your site taken with?

Oh decisions decisions.....

6. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Some of the stuff on my site was taken with a D30, some with my D60 and some with a G6 :)

7. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you think the 300D is too lightweight....just wait until you have a battery grip screwed to the bottom, a nice white L series telephoto lens stuck on the front, and a 550EX flash balanced on the top.. :smashin:

She weighs a tad more then.....trust me....I know.. :D

8. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    It's not the weight- it's the actual plasticky build of it.

9. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    the light, plasticy feel of the 300d put me off buying one - so much so that I bought a used D30.

Given the choice between a 300d, D60 and a 10D i'd go for the 10D - a tad more refined than the others, but all of the mentioned models have a lot going for them.

10. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've been checking out 20d prices in the US and they seem to be very good with the current exchange rate. I might just bite the bullet and go that route as I'll hopefully be in NY at the end of the month. Anyone know of any warranty issues with US cameras?

Thanks again to you all for the help and advice!

witters, some great photos on your site btw!

11. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'd go for the 10D...i've been using one along side my 20D for the last three weeks and to be honest wish i'd gone for a couple of 10Ds to start with.

12. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    You wont be covered if your camera goes wrong as Canon camera warranties don't have worldwide coverage - a US bought one will only be covered within Canada and the US. Their lens warranties are woldwide though.

Places like 7dayshop and ebuyer sell grey market Canons and there have been a few discussions on www.dpreview about the matter.

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 20D and i'm over the moon with it, i know the 300D is a very good camera, but it doesn't feel as good in the hand as the 20D. If you can't stretch to the 20D then the 10d would be a good choice

14. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    It would have to be the 10D as far as I'm concerned. The 10D is certainly worth £150 more than the D60 even though the D60 is still a very nice camera. Yes the 20D is better than the 10D but considering the price of the 10D unless you can afford it and justify it then the 10D offers superb value for money at that price.

IMHO the ONLY weakness of the 10D is the write speed of RAW files which is painfully slow even on the fastest CF cards when you compare it to the D70 and 20D and even the D100. However this isnt often that much if an issue due to the size of the buffer but if you intend to take lots of sports shots then its something to consider.

HTH

15. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've been reading up about RAW files and was wandering if anyone could point me to some sample "unsharpened" 20d or 10d files to play with? I just want to make sure the post processing isn't beyond my photoshop skills!

Thanks again all!

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If i was back on broadband i'd send you some.. thats going to be about ten days:( maybe tyefi could send you one

17. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    If you start using RAW theres a useful tool called Dr. Brown's Image Processor (It was written by a senior creative director at Adobe called Russell Brown) - great for batch processing of RAW files. Download it, and a useful tutorial here:

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

18. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    If you are interested I have written a tutorial entitled "An Introduction To The Digital Darkroom From RAW to Final Print" on my website www.peakoverload.com using the RAW editor in Photoshop CS covering most of the editing stage of RAW files which you may find useful.

It really isnt that hard to do, the hardest part is setting your white balance but at its most basic you can just move the slider until it looks okay and in time you will get to judge the temperature of the light at the time of shooting.

Oh I should point out that you do have to be a member of my site to get access to the tutorials but its free to join and I dont mind if you sign up just to get the tutorial, although obviously I hope you might stick around ;)

HTH

19. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Wow - great stuff guys. Seany - thanks and if you do get a chance to send some over anytime that would be much appreciated and thanks very much for the tutorials tomson and peakoverload - I'll get learning!