1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Camera??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Mr. Muddle, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Mr. Muddle

Mr. Muddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone.

I need some advice regarding purchasing a digital camera and hope that someone here may be able to help me.

Can anyone match a camera to the following descriptions?

- I want to use it mostly to take close up photos which show clear detail, e.g. to be able to take a photo of a wrist watch and clearly see the numbers and any other little details on the face of the watch, or a book with the writing on the cover clearly visible and readable, etc. However, I also want to be able to take detailed photos of larger items such as a bed, chair, etc. I will not be taking photos of things which are in the distance.

- Almost (if not all) photos will be taken indoors where light is not the best. I will not be taking any photos of moving subjects, nor will I be taking photos of people/animals, so any features made for these purposes are not necessary, e.g that red-eye thing.

- The camera must be cheap. I am not looking to spend anything over £50, HOWEVER, please do not rule out any cameras that are way above this price because I am willing to buy used/second hand, and you never know when you might come across that good deal!

- I do not want one with an LCD screen. This is due to battery drainage, however, if there is an LCD that doesn't drain the batteries, or one whose LCD can be permanently switched off, then that's ok.

- I do not care how the camera looks or how big it is. It could be triangular and the size of a brick and I wouldn't care. I also do not care if it's an older model; I am not interested in having the latest and the greatest. As long as it can do the job I want it to properly, then that's the main thing.

- It must have a built-in flash. Do they come with hot shoes also?

- I do not intend to store images for any great length of time. As soon as I have taken a shot, it will be going onto my pc and removed from the camera, so any fancy memory device is not required. I think one with internal memory would be ideal. In saying this, I am wondering if skimping on memory will affect the quality of my photos. Any thoughts?

- I will never be using it as a webcam, so this is not required. I will never be recording video clips, voice or other audio. Fancy stuff which has nothing to do with photos is not required.

- I DEFINITELY DO NOT wish to buy a camera for which I need to buy extras on a regular basis, especially where the extras have to be made by the same company as the camera. I cannot afford this.

- I think I want a camera which uses disposable batteries. Any opinions? Are there any cameras which can be operated via mains? This would be great! I am looking for the cheapest way. Would that be re-chargeables?

- Which file type is best for what I am looking for? TIFF?

- I will never be connecting my camera to a TV, however, the pictures are all to be posted on the Internet, so I am looking for a camera which includes all the necessary equipment/software to do this. I am not going to be printing out any photos on a printer.

- It would be preferred that I could retouch the photos on my pc afterwards. Is this a camera issue or a software issue?

Sorry for boring everyone to tears, but instead of having to post back and forth a hundred times, I thought it a good idea to include all the info at once.

Thanks for any assistance or advice.

Mr. Muddle.

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £50 you've no chance. Tiff!! some £400 cameras dont have tiff.

To get good clear close ups, you'll need a decent camera with a good macro function.

Sorry mate, but decent stuff does not come for £50, and you need a decent camera

3. Mr. Muddle

Mr. Muddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. Mr. Muddle

Mr. Muddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KB!

That's great!

Thanks for going to the trouble for me! Looks good.

How does this one compare to a Trust 500F?

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's better then the 500f

7. Mr. Muddle

Mr. Muddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, after I carried out a search for the C-120, I realised that it cost nearly £200 in some places!

Thanks for the help.

I just may well go for your suggestion, but probably a used one!

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mate you can get it for £60

9. Mr. Muddle

Mr. Muddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Yes, thank you very much for pointing me to it. I checked out your link when you sent it and it was indeed £60.00 at the stated website. Well, around £67 with p&p etc and elsewhere it's triple that amount! (At the moment it's out of stock though.)

I cannot afford even £67 right now. I think I may be able to get it cheaper if I buy it second hand.

I've got another one for you; what about the HP 315?

Thanks.

10. Mr. Muddle

Mr. Muddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both mate, are way over your price from what i can see.

12. Mr. Muddle

Mr. Muddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The C2 is only £55 plus delivery! (and the other one is £10 more; you're the one who showed me it.)

So which one?