1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which camera? Please help.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Jimmathie, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Jimmathie

Jimmathie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice please.

I am looking to buy a new digital camera but do not know which one to go for. Budget is not a problem but I am going to America and around europe so the smaller the better. I think around the 5m pixel mark as I would like good quality A4 or maybe even A3 prints from it. I am more of a point and click person but I am not sure if I would be bitten by the photography bug so not sure about manual controls, a bit of both would be nice!!

I have asked for some advice in Jessops and the guy seemed really helpful and it seems to have boiled down to a choice of 3.

Canon Ixus 500
    Fuji Finepix F810
    Nikon Coolpix 5200

I did like the look of the SonyCybershot DSC-T1 but the guy in Jessops steered me away from Sony saying the others were better in terms of picture/build quality? What do you think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am going to buy in the next few days! Do Jessops still do a price match?

Thanks,

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    They have there very own memory which is large compared with others and is on the dear side. I ruled them out right away when I was looking for my own camera because of it.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Review of the Nikon here.

Jessop’s are suppose to do a price match but when I tried to get a price match on an Olympus 765, one branch was £23 out and an other was £63. You may be better getting something at the same time like memory if they are out on the price match so they may come down a bit more.

4. Jimmathie

Jimmathie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice about the Sony. I have read some really good reviews of the Nikon but I think on balance the Canon is going to be the one. I have read it has better image quality and is easier to use? What would you do?

Then there is the Fuji which is quite new, don't know a lot about this one?

5. jtweed

jtweed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Casio Exilim cameras. I have an EX-Z4 (superseded by the EX-Z40) and it's brilliant. Sounds just like what you are looking for.

Jon

6. Jimmathie

Jimmathie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, thanks for all your adivice!!

I have decided to go for the Canon. Not really sure about the Nikon and have read rave reviews about the Canons picture quality.

Going to Jessops today to see if they will match Amazons prices or Camerasdirect.

Thanks,