Which Camera has the best movie option?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by kingcantona1, Jul 25, 2004.

1. kingcantona1

kingcantona1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an Olympus MJU400 and am looking to upgrade. My main criteria is that it is a decent "point and shoot" camera, but I would like to be able to record movies with audio. The MJU400 only records in 15 second clips and without audio. I am looking at buying a Digital camera which will allow longer clips with audio (currently looking at Canon Ixus 500, Samsung Digimax V50, etc). I will be mainly using the camera as a general all-round camera, but would like the movie function as I regularly go skiing in the winter and want a camera which I can fit in the pocket of my ski jacket.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Paul

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The ixus 500 can take 3 min max movies with sound at one time, you can restart straight after. It'll fit in your pocket with ease. John has one he's really pleased with it (i'm sure johnny boy will advice you) sample pics and movies for the 500: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s500_samples.html

I'd pick that over the samsung

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,641
    To compare the footage of the two look here for the Samsung.

And here for the Canon.

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Although that review is for the V4 - I believe the V50 had a much better video mode.

One of the other Canon's (the S1 I think) has a good movie mode, it's not the most compact of cameras though.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,641
    :oops: Sorry I was not intending to misslead just got the numbers mixed up. :blush: But the Canon is OK ;)

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the S1 and it has a fantastic movie mode. Up to an hr's film or 1 gig which ever comes first (on certain settings) you can use the zoom, which is 10 x and the exposure settings and more, plus it can take films a 30 frames per second. Plus it can be set to fully manual. You can had lenses its a fantastic camera. Because of the zoom lens its bigger then the 500. It's the only reason i never brought the cameara up as its not so easy to fit in your pocket.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,641
    I hope you are not expecting camcorder quality from the camera! What looks good on a monitor will look different blown up in size on a TV.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,125
    Indeed I do have the Ixus 500 and am very pleased with it. It's a great little all rounder and can fit in your pocket with ease. If you're really serious about movie mode though, I would look towards the S1 or something similar. I suppose it depends on what is the most important for you - size or quality of movies. I've only taken movies at the lower resolution so far and they are reasonable for recording drunken singing sessions and stuff like that !
    I will at some time be purachasing a bigger camera for the times I want to be more creative and the S1 is on my shortlist.

9. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Olympus C770 has the best movie mode on a digicam. SMooth video, as much as you like, comes with a 128mb card and you can zoom whilst filming. It was very much geared around giving good quality movies yet still allows 4mp with a 10x optical.

10. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    This is nice:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/t1.html

It can do video in MPEG Movie (w/audio) - VX Fine (640x480, 30fps) which should be very good. You can fill up the card with 1 video and it has a huge 2.5" screen. It the same size as the IXUS500 but half as thick.

It also has an internal optical zoom which means that if you accidently switch it on in you pocket, you'll still be able to take it out and switch it off again. Because that's happened to all of us, right?

right?

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,641
    I would have gone for one of these babys but at £120 than the 765 it was too much yet in the states they are only £55 more who's robbing who, or are the loosing on them in the States?.

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because of the limited flash range (5 feet) and 38mm wide angle focal length, you'll realize the best indoor results when shooting portraits of individuals and couples. Capturing a well-exposed flash image of even a moderately-sized room is beyond the T1's capability. Although a red eye reduction mode of flash operation is provided, the close proximity of the lens and flash on the camera body resulted in red eyes in nearly every flash image.

that would rule the sony out for me

13. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree the pricing logic is crazy!

As it is lterally the same as the 765 but black and with the better movie mode, surely they cant expect a £100 up in price to be justifiable!?

Even so, it has a good movie mode :)

14. kingcantona1

kingcantona1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I have discounted the Samsung model. I am also interested in the FUJI FinePix F610 and Fuji F700. Does anyone have any comments on these 2 cameras?
    I know the video picture quality won't be fantastic on these cameras, I have a handheld DV digicam (JVC GR DX95EK) for better quality, but I don't want to risk taking the digicam on the ski slopes.
    Thanks again for the great advice already.
    Paul

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,125
    Reviews from Steves Digicams are usually good
    F700

Having said that they don't have a review of the 610 !
    610 review

The main thing that put me of the Fuji range was that the XD cards seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the CF cards, and are not available in very large capacities. The larger capacity cards come in useful for storing large movies.

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,641
    If you want a look at the movie on the 765 and 770 go here.

Also I take what I said about blowing the picture up I did with the 765 and it looks very reasonable even in a 32 inch screen.

17. kingcantona1

kingcantona1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like I will be buying the FUJI Finepix 610. Thanks for all the feedback, very much appreciated.
    Paul

18. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    @kingcantona1, did you get the Fuji F610 then if so what is it like as a all round cam please. Thinking of getting one myself.

Regards Trevor

19. kingcantona1

kingcantona1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I never got round to getting one. I decided to buy a Sanyo Xacti digicam from Ebay. I paid £220 for it and it came with a 128MB SD card. It is smaller than my other digicam and have been impressed with pic quality.
    Thanks,
    Paul

20. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ok cheers for info just got my Fuji F610 and is a badass all cam :thumbsup:

Regards Tulloch