1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which camcorder ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by andypandy, Jul 14, 2003.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm looking at spending about £800.
    I'm not after a cam with edit features or the ability to take stills (I have a digital camera already).

It must have an lcd screen, be overall small in size, best picture quality for the money and have a DV in/out (passthrough) to fead my old HI8 camera pictures. Some steady shot ability.

I was thinking of going for the Hitachi Camcorder that writes directly to DVD, but I expect I can get better quality pictures for the money with one that writes to DV tapes - as I am probably paying fpr the priviledge.
    Any advice welcome.
    thanks

2. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony TRV33:clap: :clap: :clap:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As you say that you have a few Hi8 tapes that you want to be able to play, then it might be an idea to get a Sony Digital8 camcorder as most of these can play old analogue 8mm/Hi8 tapes. But they will be slightly larger as the tapes are bigger.
    Most camcorders and certainly at around £800 should/would have a steadyshot feature.
    Get down to a local Jessops and play with a few and see what you like. Then get the best price off the internet and they will price match it.

As for the DVD camcorders, see my reply in the linked thread!

Mark.

5. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE: Sony digital8 cams being able to play hi8 tapes there is only one that will do that the 355 £426 all the others record on hi8 tape but will not play existing recordings.
    hope this helps.

6. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies.
    I must say that I would not buy a DV camera just so that I can play my old tapes in it, I would rather get a small better overall PQ camera so that I can plug my analogue HI8 camera as an addition device.
    I read the article pointed out. Although I thought the new Hitachi DVD cam wrote 30 minutes in High quality - which I can live with !

The question is am I paying a premium to write in this format. I would rather get better PQ and transfer them onto my PC and then on DVD myself. My PC is up to the job with masses of Hard Disk and supposedly there is NO picture degradation on transfer PLUS I can write to a full sized DVD-R and fit more !!!

I will check the TR33, any reviews on it's overall performance anywhere ?

7. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hitachi DZ-MV350E is reviewed in this months(Aug) What Video
    It gets a very good review.
    Quote from review
    The DZ-MV350E serves up a performance that matches most similarly specified DV camcorders.Picture quality in all three capacity settings is excellent.Colour fidelity,contrast and detail are all up there with the best.

Box at side of review
    Aslo consider...
    SONY DCR-TRV33
    This 750 DV camcorder matches the RAM-CAM for video performance and has megapixel still imaging using memory skick media.
    Reviewed July 03

DVDCAM
    :smashin:
    You'll all have them soon.