Which camcorder - Which editing software

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by the passenger, Feb 10, 2009.

1. the passenger

the passenger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all

i'm new to making films but have recently helped produce a corporate film. The professional filmaker used a Sony Z1 camcorder and i edited his footage using Nero editing software (after i'd worked out the firewire capture using an old mini-dv camcorder to get the tapes on the PC) the Nero software i found very limited regarding the sound edit - esp. the editing of music we put over the film.
    Can any members advise me on a good, lighweight semi/professional camcorder (3CCD) with a good battery and mic for around the £2.5k mark?
    Also any advice on some good professioanl editing software for around £600 and a good tripod/softbox lights and a boom mic would be welcome.
    Basically any info/advice on a whole set up of kit for producing professional looking short films would be very gratefully received.

Many Thanks :thumbsup:

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Sony HDR-FX1000E Mini DV Camcorder from Bentonville Mall
    a very good prosumer come semi pro camcorder.

i only use pinnacle 12.5 ultimate it will do most things but can be temermental.There are many pro editing software including sony vegas pro 8.check google for more options.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. JimNastics

JimNastics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm in a similar position to you passenger, looking for a £2.5k camcorder for corporate and educational videos. I will also throw the Canon XH-A1 into the mix. Canon XH-A1 vs Sony FX1000 seems to be the big battle in the industry at the moment! I don't know which one to go for... there are strong supporters on both sides.

4. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    The fx100 is more modern the a1 does not have an hdmi connection and overall includung low light the fx-100 has to be tops for me.

5. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
  6. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
  7. the passenger

the passenger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris, Merkin & Mr Lazy for your advice. I'll have a read of the reviews on the Sony FX1000E and the Canon XH-A1. I've also had the Sony PD150 recommended as a good work horse as HD is not important for me and the Panasonic HVX200, though these two seem hard to come across anywhere. Also the Sony DCR VX2100 looks impressive.
    Software wise Adobe Premiere Pro 2 and Avid Liquid 7 look good and the former seems to be the standard.
    Thanks again for your prompt advice.
    Can anyone recommend any radio mic makes and a good tripod?