1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which cam xm1, xm2, xl1???????

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kayak2sg, Aug 24, 2005.

1. kayak2sg

kayak2sg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,
    thinking of breaking into event filming. done a bit of research and there is a market for it where i live. pretty competent at editing (prem 6.5) and soon starting 'film school' at night school.

so a camera?
    (2nd hand)

i like the canons'. used the xm1 seems like it will do the job ok, but it is an old model and getting hold of a decent one could be a challenge. looking to spend a max of £900.

with this kind of money i was thinking of a nearly new xm2, but have noticed some xl1 s' at a similar price. should i streach my budget to an older xl1 or stick with the xm2??

i understand the sony is supposed to be of superior build quality and i know of videographers who wouldn't consider anything else.....but the reviews here and else where seem to suggest the canons' are the ones to go for.
    look forward to a reply,
    kind regards,
    2sg.

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi 2sg,

I own a XL1, XL1s and an XM1. I tend to use the XM1 most because of its size, it's easy to take anywhere.

If you intend to film commercially you may get a better customer reaction with an XL1/XL1s as they do look like a pro camera and the XM1/2 look a lot more like consumer cams. The picture quality is very similar with all three so I reckon you'd be best trying them all out.
    You should be able to pick up an XM1 for about £600, an XL1 for about £900 and an XL1s for about £1200. Make sure you give them a good try out before you buy, some of these cameras will have done quite a few hours - if you're lucky you may find one that was bought and hardly used.. Good luck and hope you find a nice one.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xl1's are the most intuitive and tactile to use, the image quality is wonderful, not quite as 'digital' looking as the sonys (a good thing) and it has a certain warmth to it that the sonys struggle to emulate.

Apart from being more recent (and thus more reliable) the XL1S has a couple of nice features (two manual WB settings, more gain control & 16:9 preview guidelines ina 4:3 frame)

I also run an XM2, it actually has more resolution and a bigger zoom, but lacks the physcial presence of the XL's. XL's all have more scope for adding decent quality audio (via an adaptor, go for beechteks if you can it's cheaper and better than canons)

4. kayak2sg

kayak2sg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    excellent, thanks for the sound advice,....xl1s it is then!
    have any of you guys delt with the 'canon outlet' ?

any idea of things to watch for when checking the cam out?

kind regards,
    2sg.

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you get a years guarantee withe the cam, but it is usually reconditioned, ask if they offer an extended warranty, usually the tape deck goes first on these cams.

It's a good choice.