1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which cables???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sessen Ryu, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have brought myself the following - and have absolutely no cables!!

Denon 3802 AVRS
    SVS 20-39PCi sub
    Ruark Prologue one floorstanders
    Ruark Dialoge one centre
    Ruark Eplilogue surrounds
    Panasonic 36 flat 100hz tv
    (still looking for a DVD player also!(?))

I am currenty researching DVD players, but I have absolutely no idea where to start looking for cables. I prefer to receieve an unbias opinion before I start asking sales people.

Given my equipment - I would appreciate any suitable recommendations on which cables to go for - and, would anyone like to comment on the differences in sound from various cables on the market?

Any comments much appreciated.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

Have a look at the following sites:

www.chord.co.uk

www.qed.co.uk

www.hificables.co.uk

As for the varying sound between cables, I´ll deftly avoid that one as it has generated fairly different (and heated!!) opinions in the past.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference - Optical or Coaxial etc etc

cheers

3. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Hi-Fi say coaxial is marginally better, and Home Cinema Choice says they are identical. Obviously there can't be much of a difference between the two in terms of sound. I have never done a side by side comparison so I wouldn't know.

If I had a choice between the two though I would go for coaxial because optical leads have a tendency to fall out too easily.

4. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Denon/ Ruark system myself, with Chord Chorus interconnects (analogue) and Odyssey 4 speaker cable for Fronts/Centre . Works exceptionally well. Prodac digital cable is supposed to be very good too, haven't tried it though.
    regards,
    G.M.

5. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for the info people. I will do a little research to familiarise myself to the dark world of cables.

It's a bit of a tricky one to establish what audio differences i'm going to experience by chosing one cable over another - without actually demo'ing different cables with my (or a similar) system! Don't suppose that's the done thing though is it - to ask a shop to demo you some cables.....

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds used to do a cable box.

You left a deposit and took home this box with all different calbes in, decided what you wanted, took it back and ordered the cables.

not usre if it was just speaker cable or if it included interconnects too.

7. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    G.M - what sort of sound have you achieved with your Denon/Ruark combination? Is it more on the lively, or relaxed side? Bright? Detailed....?? I've got all my bits and pieces around me and am dying to listen to it all! (ive just brought a new place and am currently re-decorating!)

8. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's more detailed, but isn't bright or edgy sounding. you can pick out sounds in the film soundtrack you hadn't noticed before. The centre channel in particular gives a crystal clear natural sound with voices. The Denon/Ruark combo is very good and the Chords are a very good complement to them.
    regards,
    G.M.

9. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That RS box is interconnects only (at least in Leeds.)

10. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Van den Hul speaker cables, I find they're really neutral but don't cut back on detail. I'm using a Denon with 753 Freedoms (front and back- woohoo) and a 75C and I think it sounds a bit relaxed. Any ideas how to liven it up a bit? appreciate suggestions