1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Cables?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mickyd67, Jun 29, 2005.

1. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and need help please.

I've just ordered the following kit:

Plasma: TH42PV500

DVD/ HDD: DMREH50

I also have Sky+

I need help to understand where to get the best cables to connect these items together.

I see Ixos cables everywhere - are they the best?

If so, where can I get them at the best prices?

If not - what is, and where's the best place to buy?

Any help would be great - cheers....

2. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    You could have a look at the cable universe site on the web and read some of the customer reviews. The prices look good too. I have bought a component lead from them but have not tried it it out as i have'nt bought a plasma yet. The lead i bought appears to be of a high quality. For further choice, try doing a search on the forum. Geoff.

3. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Tried to do a search, but no joy.

Could someone help please? A couple of URL's would be great as well as any advice

Thanks

4. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I'm opening myself up for some serious bashing here but i'll go out on a limb... :suicide:

Cables were a big concern for me when I recently bought my plasma. I didn't want to use crap stuff that would ruin my viewing pleasure, yet my components were going to be a fair distance from the screen needing min 3m lengths. I had had a 1m Ixos scart which cost me about £45 a while ago, but couldn't justify the prices for the quivilant 3m versions. I looked at the various shop options, monster, etc and even those suggested by fellow forum members. Then I hit ebay... I bought 1 of these (albeit in 3m length)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....7&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

It was a good price and I am happy to say the quality is excellent - I can see NO visible difference between this and my Ixos. Basically these are inexpensive but NOT cheap!

How much you spend is entirely up to you, however I would suggest trying one of these - if it's good enough then your laughing :clap: If not - use it on your video :thumbsup:

5. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got all mine from:
    http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/

They do various different ranges and also custom length cables (which was the main reason I got from there as I needed all sorts of long-run cables for my plasma install).

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  7. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    chedmaster - yep saw them there too. Admittedly the 2m runs are cheaper, but the longer 3m lengths worked out cheaper from the ebay supplier. (not much in it however)

I got 2 x 3m lengths for £19.98 plus £2.50 postage

8. marmite0

marmite0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Could someone explain what I'd expect to see in terms of bad PQ if I used a _really_ cheap nasty set of composite leads or for that matter scart?

I received my new 42 panny the other day and have not ordered any new cables yet, I basically plugged in anything I could find to wire up the free dvd recorder and sky box I have to it - and.. well I don't see any obvious problems.

9. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With 'cheap and nasties' you would expect to see a loss of sharpness in PQ, possibly some ghosting or 'shadowing' of the picture. Increase in 'dot crawl' (try bringing up the program finder on the Sky box, the edges of the box should be perfectly clean and straight also the text should be solid and not 'shimmer' in anyway.

From an audio point of view (hmm that doesnt seem right :D ) you may experience some flattening of the sound.

To be honest unless your interconnects are *really* cheap then you may not be aware of any problems. That is until you connect with quality cables- Then you will have something to compare against.

There are lots of cable discussions in other areas of this forum, I advise browsing through these, you will certainly get a clearer view of what's good and what's inferior.

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its a general rule of thumb that you should spend about 10% of your equipment costs on cables, so if you bought a pv500 that gives you about £220 to start from scratch!

11. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quality cables are in the "you dont know what you're missing unless you have it" syndrome Ched..most folks dont even know how good their PQ could be, so they say "looks allright to me!"..

Ignorance is bliss and all that.

12. marmite0

marmite0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I may invest in a couple of good quality scarts to link my Sky -> Tivo -> panny up then and see how it goes..

The component [edited] leads I used were some audio jacks I had lying around, they may actually be reasonably high quality gold plated ones. AFAICT there is no PQ artifacts - but then there are so many factors, not least the source. Maybe I need some test images/disks/screnes to try and be objective.

Any recommendations of where to buy 'good' but not OTT cables from at best competitive prices?

TIA.

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    www.tvcables.co.uk

i find the generic ones are good for sky etc but for dvd you want some ixos or something else high end (if you can afford £50+ then mark grant in cables power buy but i cant!) component/scart.

if you dont have a component dvd player, get one. otherwise you dont deserve that screen! also your not trying to get rid of artifacts, your trying to improve colours and edges etc, doesnt matter how good the composite cable is, the pq will be rubbish compared to an average rgb scart. (in most cases).

14. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Of the branded makes, Ive always had very good experience with Ixos scarts ( I have two in my system). I also use a chord company silver Scart-to-Svideo which is excellent (about £65). However, i do believe that decent cables make a difference and have tested it over and over again, when doubt begins to creep in. For connecting my freeview to the plasma, I use a Nordost Silver Screen scart (about £150) into a JS Tech box. The pq is not by any standards 4 times better than my ixos but there is an improvement in sharpness, noise, colour, 3 dimensionality and edge definition. I dont regret the purchase and have just bought an Svideo-Svideo from the same range.

15. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey Pat!

Hows it going buddy? Still in love with your Fuji? And are you goin to hit the scaler bug sometime soon???

lol........!

16. Zebraman

Zebraman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wondered who it was that bought 150quid scart cables. Whenever I'm in the AV shop I wonder who buys those.

I reckon a lot of it is psychological. If I'd spent 150 on a scart cable, I'd think my picture was great too.

17. marmite0

marmite0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whoops I meant 'component' earlier not composite!

Yikes £150 - I think I'll have to take your word for it, I don't intend to stretch that far - I suspect changes to room lighting, shading, eye fatigue and distance/angle - none of which are laboratory standards in my house would all play a larger factor than £50->£150 jump in a lead - but what do I know.. but I think I'll remain blissfully ignorant.

I was also going to say ealier, I imagine there is some psychology involved to some extent - that is not to say they are not better, I'm sure they are, but you are tuning your eyes for the subtle quality differences that might be there some of the time because you have been sold on the idea they are better already. I'm sure if you look closely enough they are. I _feel_ I would not notice, in the same way I find it very dificult to notice the difference between a £150 cd player and a £500+ cd player.

Thanks for the suggestion re. leads outlets, I think I'll order scarts to replace my bog standard ones.. and hope I notice difference.

18. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I find it very dificult to notice the difference between a £150 cd player and a £500+ cd player."

nopes marmite but you will hear a huge difference in one that costs 3k - what does that tell you???

19. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Zebraman - I wait til no-ones looking and then whisper the order to the sales guy.

Seriously, I sit far too close to my panel so any screen noise is made more apparent and better cables do help with this. I really have done side-by-side comparison tests with cheaper (and more expensive) cables but I reckon the indestructible Nordost Silver Spirals are about as good as it gets. It definitely isnt necessary to spend such a hight amount for good picture but, having spent nearly £5k on the panel, Im not gonna quibble about spending £150 to get the best out of it.

Dilsher - doing fine thanks. Still enjoying the loveliness of the screen every day. Perhaps when the new lumagen range comes out later this year, I`ll give in....If I start saving now.

20. Yousanem

Yousanem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10% of the equipment cost is a great figure - if you're selling cables ;)

There's more unsupported hokem talked about wiring up systems than just about any other topic. Ever seen a frequency response spec for a cable? This is not technology - its just plumbing. The wires are a pipe - you shove an electron in one end, an electron pops out the other end. You pull and electron out, another electron is sucked in the other end.

Sure there's a little bit more to it if you have a weak signal (screening needed, and maybe impedence matching) but this is basic clunky engineering. Compared to the electronics inside your equipment, its nothing - and that's probably where all the fuss stems from. You can't see or feel the quality of your integrated circuits; but when it comes to the pipework, it may be crude, but its on the outside. And just like a new mother wants to give the best to her baby, the enthusiasts are encourage to think they need chunky cables to prevent their "baby" being starved of electrons.

I bought a component cable the other day from one of the sponsors of this forum. Well the thing wouldn't look out of place linking Scotty's dilithium crystals to the warp drive. All for the sake of a few milliamps! No ,when it comes to Home Cinema chavdom, chunky cables are the spoiler on the back of your 1.2 litre Citroen Saxo! :)

21. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

And then we bury them in the walls !!!! :rotfl: