Which cables for this set up?

indus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question is a little misleading as I'm not sure what the set up is yet!

Basically I'm having an extension built and on one wall will house a flat screen (budget £1k+) mounted on the wall. L/R/C speakers also mounted on this wall. Directly below the tv will be the AV gear. I need to tell the builder which cables to run now before the wall is 'finished'. So there will be NO cables showing between the TV and the AV cabinet.

Problem is I haven't decided which kit I'll be buying as have much reasearch to do yet. But here is what I know

1) I will only be running SkyHD, AV surround amp and DVD player. No gaming or PC

2) It will NOT be high end. But exact budget undecided yet

So the question is to be able to run all bits in 1) to my TV in all circumstances ie they may have modern or 'old' outputs exactly which cables do I need to run?

I am happy to run cables and 'waste' money on cables which I may not end up using. I don't want the opposite situation and mess up the install once the room is all decorated. I want all cables to be hidden and the building is well under way.

Many thanksi

Anyone?

Is the question clear or have I been vague?

It would really depend on the kit you buy but as a rule, run every conceivable cable and you will have all options covered! ;)

However, if your amp/av receiver has HDMI switching and upconversion you could get away with one HDMI cable from the amp to the TV. I would also run a pair of RCA phonos (for the sake of it, they're not dear) along with some Cat5e cables (for future data use) and also as they're also dirt cheap you can use them to pull other cables through if you do muck up and decide you need another cable installing! I would also run an optical cable from the TV to the amp for surround sound from the TV's inbuilt freeview tuner. You could get away without installing SCART if all the kit is new and if you needed to you could always get an adaptor to convert kit. Most TV's have composite connections on the front to connect camcorders etc. I would also install a component (YpBpR - red/blue/green) cable.

So:
HDMI (at least one)
optical
RCA phono (analogue audio)
component
Cat5e datacables (2 or 3)

You might get a better response by posting in the DIY section of this forum.

It would really depend on the kit you buy but as a rule, run every conceivable cable and you will have all options covered! ;)

However, if your amp/av receiver has HDMI switching and upconversion you could get away with one HDMI cable from the amp to the TV. I would also run a pair of RCA phonos (for the sake of it, they're not dear) along with some Cat5e cables (for future data use) and also as they're also dirt cheap you can use them to pull other cables through if you do muck up and decide you need another cable installing! I would also run an optical cable from the TV to the amp for surround sound from the TV's inbuilt freeview tuner. You could get away without installing SCART if all the kit is new and if you needed to you could always get an adaptor to convert kit. Most TV's have composite connections on the front to connect camcorders etc. I would also install a component (YpBpR - red/blue/green) cable.

So:
HDMI (at least one)
optical
RCA phono (analogue audio)
component
Cat5e datacables (2 or 3)

You might get a better response by posting in the DIY section of this forum.

Thanks Dave.

I can be a bit more specific now if that helps

1) TV probably Sony 40''2000W

2) Amp prob Sony STR-DA1200ES

3) Sky HD as mentioned

4) DVD player Denon 1930

Many thanks for your help.

ps what is the component lead you suggested for?

What I suggested should do fine as the Sony KDL40W2000U (is that the one?) has optical out for audio. The Sony 1200ES will switch HDMI sources, so one HDMI lead to the TV should suffice. As for the component, it's just in case you do add something else. Sky HD and your DVD player can also output component so if your HDMI breaks....! :D

Fantastic! Just to be sure to be sure I'm going to run

1) 2x HDMI

2) 1x component

3) 2x RCA phonos

4) 3 x cat5

5) 1 x optical

Many thanks again. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but what are the RCA phono leads for?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom