Which cables can go together and which shouldn't?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tojo, Sep 11, 2007.

1. tojo

tojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hello All,

I think this a bit of a noob question :blush: Apologies if it has been answered elsewhere - I have looked, honest.

I'm about to embark upon a spot of DIY that will involve me running the following cables:

CAT5 for data
    Speaker cables
    Arial for TV distribution
    Power cables for various pieces of kit
    Cable for virgin TV
    HDMI
    Possibly component.

Which cables can I put next to each other in trunking and which need to be kept separate (or possibly shielded)?

Cheers
    Jon

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Hello tojo

If possible keep the Power cables away from everything else - if you have to run them parallel try and keep a decent gap between the two and if you have to cross the power cable over any of the cables do it at right angles.

If your running long HDMI and Analogue Multicore (Component) cables make sure you use well shielded cables.

Joe

PS In terms of mains distribution please ensure you follow the relevant UK legislation re what you can do vs. what a qualified spark can do.

3. tojo

tojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Joe,

Sorry, when I said power, I meant the power from the socket to the device, rather than the installation of the mains power to the socket itself - I'm hoping to get a spark to do that.

So really the power leads are the only troublesome ones? I can run the ariel cable with the speaker cable and so on? That would be great news, I had envisaged running about 3 lots of trunking.

Cheers
    Jon