1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which cable will I need?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by BandofBrothers, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi guys, I ordered the Samsung "SP50L6HX" earlier today (it will maybe take 3 weeks to get here)

What cable will I need to plug this TV into my pc (I have a geforce 7800GTX with 2xDVI slots on it)

I want to order the BEST cable for the job, so that as soon as the screen arrives, I can plug my pc into it, and show off the screen with some HDTV vids etc etc.

Which cable will I need (the best quality one plz) and where can I get it from in the UK? (direct link if possible plz)

(Is it true this TV I have ordered doesnt have a "true" DVI slot? and needs some kind of adapter?)

Many thanks in advance :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. Obskure

Obskure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    BoB,
    Try www.tvcables.co.uk I've got a sammy sp50l7hx. ordered the dvi-hdmi adapter for my machine(£12.99). Haven't received it yet though I've watched Lost season 1 and 1-5 season 2 hi-def through vga and can't wait to see dvi in action.
    P.S. no true dvi slot. Just the HDMI port. but should be just the same with adapter. It's quoted as dvi-compatible I think

3. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Band of Brothers

If your HD TV has an HDMI Input rather than a DVI Input then you have a couple of things to sort out.

01. Interconnect - no need to use adapters there are plenty of DVI to HDMI cables around. If you want something really decent quality use BetterCables; their Display Magic DVI2HDMI cables are tested to 1080P and available in 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12 and 15m lengths.

02. PC as a Video Device - your new TV's HDMI socket is likely to only be compatible with a range of Digital Video signals; these may include 1920x1080P, 1920x1080i, 1280x720P, 720x576P and 720x480P; you'll need to ensure your PC's Graphics Card can output one or all of these signals; often folk revert to a utility called 'Powerstrip' to add custom output settings to a suitable Graphics card.

Best regards

Joe

5. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    cool thanks for the info m8 :)

Will the cable I linked to above be okay for use with the TV I am getting yeah?

6. Obskure

Obskure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    BoB,
    that cable is fine. supports dvi graphics. but your card should be set correctly!

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello BankofBrothers

In theory any 3m DVI2HDMI cable will work - in practice some don't in all installations and some that do cause signal degradation.

I haven't tested the cable you link to so cant say one way or another - as above it should be fine; though there are no real 'specs' to go on.

Gold platting on the connectors is only one area to concentrate on (and not an indicator of a good or bad cable) - the actual cable itself is very important as is screening and manufacturing tolerances employed.

I mentioned the BetterCables Display Magic cables as I know for sure they have worked in all manner of installations and proven themselves to be superior to many other brands of Digital Video cable - see http://www.bettercables.com/3m9febecadim.html

Ensure you have the option to Return any cable you purchase should it prove to not work in your system.

Best regards

Joe

8. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    okay cool:)

is there anywhere I can get that exact cable in the UK, does anyone know?

(a link would be very cool if possible)

I wanna get some cables ordered, so that when my screen arrives, I can play stuff from the pc in HDTV (as I dont have any other High-Def devices yet)

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello BandofBrothers

You have a PM

Best regards

Joe