Which cable to connect my capture card to SKY Box?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Kev1000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys:)

I've just ordered this TV capture card...

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/241317/art/dazzle/video-creator-platinum-us.html (Scroll down for spec)

I understand that the cable that connects the capture card to Sky Box is very important when it comes to quality of recordings. Problem is, I don't know which cable to go for?

All I know is the cable has to either be Component to SCART or Component to Component/SCART Adaptor. Or maybe S Video with some sort of adaptor for connecting to SKY SCART...I don't know? Also, has to be 2m (minimum) in length.

Guys, it would be very much appreciated if you could help me out here:thumbsup:

Kev

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,688
    Er, you've got the wrong info there Kev.

The Dazzle only takes S-video input or composite video input. Component and composite are not the same.

The best picture you can get into the Dazzle will be the S-Video. So provided your Sky box has S-Video out, then a S-Video lead is what you need.

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,688
    Extra note:

I know the Sky+ box has S-Video out on a dedicated S-Video connector (looks like a small Din socket), but I can't remember if the standard sky has a separate S-Video output like this. I don't think the standard Sky box outputs S-Video over Scart, only RGB and/or composite.

If you do not have S-video out from Sky than you need a Sky to composite video and audio lead like these:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/t...d_group/se=Scart Leads/op=eq.html?id=FnWKNimZ

I am loathe to suggest the next route because it means using the Sky TV RGB Scart socket to record from and this means you won't have the best signal to your TV. That is to use an RGB to S-Video converter:
    http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=RGB2S

TBH I'd get hooked up with Sky+ as that has S-Video out and you can do much more with it for recording and archiving.

4. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr Incredible, thanks for the advice.

Yeah, about the wrong info, I get very confussed with all the different types of cables..it was probably right when I read it and wrong when my brain processed it, lol!

Ok, a few things:

About the Sky + box. I'm going to get a SKY HD box installed in the next month or so, so like you say..I'll have much better options.

As for the time being...My Grundig Sky Digi box does not have an S-video connection, but I just checked another Grundig box in the house and this one has the S-video. The box's are set up to view different channels at the same time...can I swap these box's over? Will I need to phone Sky or anything?

If the above is possible..then it's just the best quality S-video lead I need(within my budget)..Yeah?

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,688
    If you keep the same SKy card in each box then swappin gover won't matter. It will matter if you take the card out of one box and put it in another; you'll need to phone Sky to marry up the card(s) to the box(es).

You don't need to go mad on a S-Video lead TBH. £15 max and you'll get a corker for that price. Look at TV Cables web site. THey are a sponsor of the forums as well!

6. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks mate..ignore that pm..to slow, lol

Yeah...looks like I'll be phoning sky. I have a subscription with Setanta on my box, so will have to swap cards.

Time to choose a cable...

Cheers:thumbsup:

Kev

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,688
    No problem! You just need to learn how to press the [​IMG] button against a post!! ;) :D

8. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh..so that's how it works

I was wondering why I had thanked people..yet 'Thanked' was 0 in my profile..never even noticed that button and totally mis-understood the concept..DOH!

Anyways..think I just officially thanked you:thumbsup:

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,688
    There you go! Consider yourself thanked for thanking!

10. Kev1000

Kev1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol! Thanks for thanking a thanks...err better stop now before I getted pulled for spamming:rotfl: