Which Cable Tester

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by forever, Feb 11, 2014.

1. forever

forever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Probably, but I used this
    NETWORK ETHERNET LAN CAT5 CAT5E CAT6 CAT6E RJ45 RJ11 CABLE TESTER | eBay

You need one of those 9v rectangular batteries though.
    Shows each core by lighting up an led.
    Nothing fancy, but showed bad connections well enough.
    To be honest, the biggest mistake I made was not pushing down sufficiently. It needs a heavier touch than you might imagine. I could check visually now.

3. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    1.15MB/s is suspiciously close to 10Mbit/s so I'd check that all your devices in the chain are connected at the max rate, i.e. 1Gb or 100Mb, and not at 10Mb. You could also test the PCs with a direct cable connection between the two.

4. forever

forever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thx, i think it might be in the wiring, hence why i was after a quick checker

5. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    Ethernet tends to either work or it doesn't. It's not impossible, but it's really rare for ethernet to "work but slowly," - it's not like wi-fi where there are continuously varying "speeds," the ethernet link rates are finite - either 10mbps, 100mbps or 1000mbps (equipment permitting.)

As Kristian says, 1.15MB/s sounds like you've got a 10mbps link somewhere. I doubt a simple (20 GBP ish) loopback tester will reveal anything much as the same pin outs are used for both 10mbps and 100mbps. 1000mbps uses different pin out. Basically 10/100 uses only 2 pairs of wires in the cables and GBit uses all four. All cables runs should be connected "straight though" (pin1 to pin1, pin2 to pin2, etc.)

I suggest you start by checking the speed indicators along the pathway: Your source and sink PC's should be easy enough, just check the properties of the relevant NIC's and see what "speed" they report. Thence check the interlink between your routers. That will be harder, but some report back their link rates, if not you may need to look at indicator lamps and see if they reveal anything (some use colours in the LED's to indicate link rate.)

Other things to look out for are that you don't have any "loops" in the topology, don't have any duplex mis-matches (these days just leave everything to auto-netgotiate and it's rare that they don't sort themselves out,) and turn off everything except your source and sink PC's and the routers to ensure there no "other" traffic on the LAN when you're testing. Test with something link NetIO or iPerf rather Internet speed testers.

After that you could try some methodical testing - try both PC's into the same router, try both PC's into each router, and so forth and use process of elimination to establish which cable lobe/device the issue manifests on.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  6. oshb5ems

oshb5ems
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ditto Yes 99 out of100 it works or not No half measures. But like has been said its like there is a 10Mb bottleneck somewhere? Iv got a few testers the cheap Cat5 for a few quid then the Maplin one which is nice if you buy extra ends so you can test multiple outlets and finally the dearest a network analizer thats been used all of 3 or 4 times lol but it was a company issued one and they went bang so we kept our kit in lou of wages . But the Maplin is the one I used most about £50