1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which cable for my Hitachi 42PD5200: DVI or composite?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Grand Dizzy, May 3, 2005.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My screen's a Hitachi 42pd5200. I'm just about to buy a DVD player and cables, but first I need to know what will give me the best picture!

I have a few questions...

1. Best quality?
    Firstly, which is better, component or DVI? I was always told component was the best, and was planning on getting a component cable, (buying one through a guy in the forums for about £60). But lately I've been told that DVI is more suited to my particular plasma! So now I'm confused.

2. How much to spend?
    If I get a DVI lead, does it make any difference how much I pay for it? Would I be right in saying that digital signals don't degrade via cable, so the quality of the cable is of no consequence?

3. Separate audio?
    Also, I heard that DVI leads contain both audio and video. Can you still output audio to the amp if you use DVI?

4. Keep the digital port free?
    Finally, is it wise for me to spend money on the DVI option when Sky are starting an HDTV service next year which will no doubt take up the digital port on my plasma? I will definitely be wanting HDTV. You just try and stop me! Any thoughts?

This is all so confusing! Can anyone help?

[Edit: sorry - I originally wrote 'composite' instead of 'component'! Stupid people who think of these names, making two completely different cables have extremely similar names!!! :(]

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Grand Dizzy

Your heads going to explode soon - I may just tip it over the edge :)

DVI is a Connector type and a set of associated Standards.

Component Video indicates that a Video signal is transmitted in its various 'component' parts - this may be Y/C (S-Video), YUV or RGB.

In the Home Theatre world 'Component' video has come to mean YUV and is carried on a Three core cable usually terminated in Three RCA Phono plugs (which are often confusingly colour coded Red, Green and Blue).

YUV can be Interlaced or Progressive - with many folk preferring what they see if the Source can Output Progressive and the Display can accept a Progressive Input signal.

DVI can carry Digital and Analogue signals in both YUV and RGB formats - though not all DVI Inputs work with all formats; you need to check your user manual.

HDCP is a copy protection system that's been adopted to protect the high quality Standard and High Definition signals being transmitted and planned for the Digital Video world.

If you have a source with an HDMI Digital Video Output it will apply the HDCP encryption to any disc or content that carries a copy protection 'flag' (instruction) on the disc or broadcast.

If your Display has a DVI Input you need to confirm its HDCP compliant - if not it wont work with an HDCP equipped source (though there are 'illegal' Black Boxes that can be employed to get around this issue!).

SKY HD will carry HDCP on its Digital Output - though there is talk of V1 SKY HD boxes having additional Non encrypted YUV Outputs - it will be down to the Rights owners of individual broadcasts or programmes to decide if they want to encrypt or not and eventually SKY will encrypt everything (once they have a big enough subscriber base).

Its not so much a case of the DVI Input on your Display being 'better' than the YUV Input on your Display - they can be equally as good as each other as they carry basically the same type and format of video signal across two connectivity methods.

Its most likely that you'll want to ensure you know how to and have the ability to get a signal into both Inputs for the foreseeable future.

DVI nor YUV have any Audio capabilities.

HDMI has the potential to carry Video + Stereo or Multi Channel Audio; though lots of HDMI equipped kit is currently Video only as the Audio side of things was not initially implemented on the HDMI sockets and Driver/Receiver chips the 'early adopter' manufactures went with.

DVI cables can and do produce differing results and keep in mind DVI is not designed to run over long cable lengths - it can be done though sometimes requires a 'booster' amp.

Best regards

Joe

3. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Err... errr...!!!

Thanks for the info, Joe; I'll read it over tonight in much detail.

But, if anyone could answer my question... which cable should I get?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what DVD player do you have? if it has no DVi output your question is somewhat null and void......if it does why not try both cables and keep the one you think looks better, something joe can arrange for you i am sure.
    PS the thread title says Composite or DVi I assume you know Composite and component are different and composite is the lowest quality...

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    What Joe is saying is that you need to find out information about what signal types your display will accept through those sockets. There is little point in saying go buy a DVI cable if you discover that the display will not accept the signals you want to send it from a DVD player or SkyHD......

I believe that your device will accept 576P and 480P through DVI and it has HDCP. It is not likely to support SkyHD services 720P@50Hz......so you may be advised to look at alternative solutions for better image quality to that plasma.

I'd expect that the dealer who sold you the plasma should have some good advice as to what the best method of connection in to it is.

Gordon

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sorry just noticed this, as gordon says this particular plasma is not ideal for Sky HD the Panny 37,42,50 PV500 and pioneer 43, 50 FDE/XDE are more suited to skys proposed HD service.

7. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DVD player
    I haven't bought my DVD player yet. I need to find out what leads I'll be using before I buy it.

Which looks best
    I'm happy to buy both leads/DVD players and see which looks best, but I thought that one of the leads may actually be technically better. Would I be right in saying that the quality of DVI and component is similar then?

Sky HDTV
    My plasma will show Sky's service. Sky will be giving the option of 720p or 1080i, and my plasma can handle 1080i. My plasma is Sky's official plasma screen so they're not going to sell plasmas with the Sky logo on that don't work with Sky!

My dealer
    I don't have a dealer as such. I chose my plasma by doing a lot of research and then bought it from Comet because of the price. Comet are not people I would trust to advise me on anything! On the whole, they're a bunch of slimy, lying salesmen who don't actually know too much about what they're talking.

Component/composite
    Yes, I know I got the title of the thread wrong! D'oh!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think unfortuantely you may be proved wrong.........however no one can say exactly what will work with Sky HD until it has been launched and the boxes are availble to test.
    I reconmend perhpas you find a dealer you will allow you to test a DVD player or two at home and the various leads.....what sort of budget do you have? £200+? £500+? etc

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    GD: Sky have said that they intend to produce programming in 720P@50Hz but that the platform will also support 1080I@50 if other broadcasters wish to use that res. They have not said whether the box will be lockable to one output type or whether it will be transparent to the source.

Gordon

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Grand Dizzy

The quality of the YUV or RGB signal you can pass over an Analogue or Digital interconnect can be equally as good or as bad as each other.

Garbage In > Garbage Out - no matter if its Digital or Analogue; you shouldn't assume anything with this kit. Ensure you try all the options available before you plump for the solution that suits you best.

Kit manufacturers want us all to believe Digital is best - actually Hollywood wants us to believe that as they can slap HDCP copy protection on the Digital signals and better manage who watches and copies what.

As others have said SKY are no different from the rest - there are Plasma and LCD products in this months SKY Magazine that WONT work with SKY HD once it goes all Digital.

I hope Stuart (Forum owner) is reading your post - he's amazed at how 'cheeky' we all are when it comes to saving cash :)

I wonder would you 'Pay' for a consultancy so you were armed with all the relevant info and simply had to 'go shop!' - no need to answer just me thinking out loud.

Best regards

Joe

11. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I hope Sky see sense! :rolleyes:

I find it hard to believe that they'd bring out an HDTV service (ie HIGH DEFINITION) that is incompatible with one of the few budget plasmas that is actually capable of showing a high definition picture accurately. In other words: you buy a 1024-line plasma because you care about resolution, and you are rewarded by not being allowed the high resolution service! Charming! :eek: I suppose Sky's HDTV service will work fine on all these sub-PAL (ie NTSC) resolution screens out there!

Joe,
    But... surely digital is better? Yes, if you send rubbish down the line then you will only get rubbish at the end. But the thing about digital is that it doesn't degrade. Take digital TV for example: surely no one could say they prefer analogue TV broadcasts to digital in terms of signal clarity! There's no comparison. (Yes, Sky digital is rubbish, but not because of poor signal clarity, just because of extremely high compression!)

About me buying from Comet even though I hate them. I don't see how that is cheeky. Comet have a reputation for being slimy and untrustworthy, and I have come face to face with a few salesmen like that who have backed up that reputation.

Even if these guys weren't full of lies, it's the patronising attitude and the little things like asking my name that instill probably 95% of the loathing I have for them. They didn't say "you look like the kind of man who knows what he wants and goes for it", but they pretty much said everything else. I got the "this is all a bit hush-hush, but the manager says... [blah de blah]... so you can have these at a real low price, but not for long!" line.

Oh, another thing I really objected to was the fact that I asked a young sales assistant a simple, easy question about a screen I knew I wanted, and then had to wait about 10 minutes while he got his supervisor to come out and shake my hand and bore me to death with sales talk for another 10 minutes. That's 20 minutes of my time that could have been put to better use if the sales assistant had just answered my question. (As I recall, I think I only asked about the price.)

My opinion of Comet is not high, so they should think themselves very lucky that I chose to give them my custom instead of giving my money to someone perhaps more deserving!

As it happened, it wasn't just about price, it was also about time. Comet would have been my last choice, but I had very limited time to get my plasma (my money came through a few days before Christmas and I needed it for Christmas) and none of the shops I tried would sell it me over the phone so in the end I had no choice but to buy it in person from a local store, and since there are only two electronics shops anywhere near me (Currys and Comet) I went to Currys, but then at the very last minute I was told they couldn't get the screen to me so I had to go out again and try Comet, who were able to help me. Although, again, I didn't think much of the attitude of the staff. Frankly, it stunk. The guys in Currys were lovely and I really wish I could have bought it from them.

Sorry to waffle, but you seemed intrigued by my attitude towards Comet and I wanted to elaborate in case you thought I was being unfair. Perhaps you still do!? All I can say is: it's not just me who hates the staff at Comet, there are many like me! :)

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    GD i dont mean to be critical but your comments about buying a "1024 line display" seem to have missed the Alis boat and been based upon spec alone...........

13. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Enlighten me, hornydragon. As far as I know, alis is like conventional interlacing, only transparent since it's on a plasma and there's no flicker because it's a solid state technology and the interlacing is much faster than the framerate of the video picture.

I certianly can't see alis when I look at my screen — I can see all 1024 lines nice and clear and solid with no flicker. That's nothing like 1024i.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello Grand Dizzy

I doubt SKY have the wear withal to redesign its HD platform just to ensure one particular PlasmaTV works or not - SKY are working to produce a hardware platform that matches what the content and rights managers want and something that works (as far as possible) with current broadcasting hardware; its down to end users to then ensure their TV is HD Ready or not!

Digital has one 'double' advantage over Analogue - there's no requirement to convert Analogue signals to Digital (A/D) and then back to Analogue (D/A) to 'transport' the signals from Source to Destination - that's it.

In the real world, not the theoretical world, the image you see on screen is dependent on so many factors that not having any form of A/D or D/A doesn't always produce the 'that's miles better' results the manufacturers promise us.

Done well an all Analogue signal path can be very good and done well an all Digital signal path can also be very good - at its best an all Digital signal can look less grainy than a good Analogue signal.

I find it intriguing how we all arrive at our buying decisions and how many folk will spend many valuable hours 'researching' and then go into 'panic buy' mode because its Christmas or Easter or ... I also find it intriguing that you'd part with so much cash when you don't trust the folk your handing the cash over too!

Anyway have 'we' answered any of your original questions?

Best regards

Joe

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Alis isnt like like interlaced as there is no scanning and the issue isnt the pixels but the mystery of of the video processing behind it. How does 720p scale to 1024 Alis? that is the biggy! to display 1080i Alis (1024x1024) clips the signal........so does it scale 720p to 512p and alis it (split the feilds) or scale to 1080i and clip it? also the lack of 720p input is an issue, its all well and good if the sky box allows you to select the output resolution but will a £200 STB be able to do a good enough enough job of rescaling? We just dont know......I am not a fan of Alis for domestic displays. Especially Hitachi/Philips implementation Fujitsu's are better but cost 50% more......were does that money go? to Fujitsus coffers? not directly most of it does to the insanely complex video drive system (AVM chipset) I'm not saying you have a bad plasma i just think you should be prepared for the eventuallity that it wont do everything you hope it will............(I do hope i am wrong)
    As for digital being better consider this: The world we live in is analogue, trees are analogue, birds are analogue, we are analogue, and so are our eyes. Analogue is very very tough to do anything with, as engineers statisticians and many others will tell you. The primary objective of video is too convey moving images across space and time. those images originate in analogue so must be converted to digital to start the digital path. Digital is easy, its numbers that can be processed squashed stored etc...Digital save money, digital replaces movie sets, props even actors a group of tech are much cheaper........... digital requires less expensive things like bandwith and storage. Digital offers lots but none in improvement over the original source... why do CGI movies look better on a plasma? is it because digital is better? no its because its created in a digital environment. DVD video is analogue video quantised and compressed. So while digiatl does offer advantages to manufacturer, producer and consumer they are not necassarily Quality advantages.......Digital media has yet to reach the capacity of 35mm film..............until it does analogue is the expensive, perishable, fragile king...............
    Analogue baby its the way forward..............................................

16. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard various quotes on the equivalent digital resolution of 35mm film, ranging from 10,000 pixels wide, to about 30,000 pixels wide. But there are probably a few cameras in existance that take that kind of resolution! But no, the mass public are nowhere near having a 35mm equivalent. But do they need it? The mass public don't take high definition photos. Nobody's holiday snaps would substantiate 600 megapixel detail. A few megapixels, in most cases, captures all the detail there is to capture, and you wouldn't get any more detail from 35mm film. So practially, digital film is a great thing for most people, not because it has particularly better quality than 35mm, merely for the convenience and the fact that the photos don't deteriorate over years.

This is a dangerous and controversial thing to talk about! I'm covering the subjects of both photography and digital vs analogue. I should just stop now!

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i meant 35mm as in 35 mm film for motion pictures not stills stuff but never mind.....the point is just becuase it is digital doesnt automatically make better than analogue, digital can be done well and when it is its great........but more often than not its done so-so or at the expense of analogue (in hardware)

18. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know what you're saying about digital not always being better. Synthesisers are a good example of this. They produce analogue sounds that are 'perfect', whereas digital samples are never quite the same (although obviously there are pros and cons of both).

But when you're talking about leads, surely digital has to be better because the purpose of a lead is to carry a signal, and analogue leads are prone to interference/signal degradation, whereas digital cannot degrade. Either it works, and you hear the sound, or it doesn't, and you don't. Like digital TV, either you see a perfect picture, or you see no picture/a garbled picture when the signal is interrupted for whatever reason. I'm guessing digital leads never suffer from sudden unexpected signal blocks. Why would they?

But my point is that you can't a video signal that has degraded in quality when sent via a digital cable, any more than you could get a CD that has degraded in quality over time. Digital is pristine. Right?

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Digital can both degrade, and suffer interferance its still a voltage on a wire and with enough noise you "0" becomes a "1" and all hell breaks loose....

Digital isnt pritine at all ever heard of Disc rot???
    Digital really isnt all that!

20. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes but if a coupld of 0s were turned into 1s then the checksums would easily compensate for the error. All digital systems use error correction to minimise errors, and most modern systems have extensive error correction (DVD is one such example). If there are so many errors that the data can't be recovered then the signal would just cut out because there would have to be some kind of extreme or prolonged interference and the data transmission would be invalid.

As I understand it, digital signals will not allow errors to pass through. They either work perfectly, or they don't work at all. When you watch a DVD, every pixel you see is accurate, straight from the disc. If there are unrecoverable errors, you can tell because the movie would simply not play properly.

21. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    GD: If you do a search on this forum you'l find lots of technical reading explaining why it's not just about whether it's a 1 or a 0 and about how and why digital signal transmission is not a black and white issue.

Gordon

22. Thibs

Thibs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grand Dizzy, I will give you my humble feelings upon your different topics from a slightly different point of view : I have no idea how plasma an analog/digital source work but I have a fairly good idea of what looks good and what doesn't on a plasma, especially on an hitachi plasma as I have a 37PD5200 myself, connected to both dvi and yuv sources.

So here are my thoughts :

1) Indeed there is a risk that Sky HD won't work on your plasma. That is too bad and frankly I would be more inclined to blame Hitachi than Sky on this matter as everybody knew that 720p50 was a credible option for sky. I am sorry for you and I must say that I am very relieved to see that in France (where I live) 1080i is very likely to be the elected standard for HD broadcasters.
    Still, the bottom line is that nobody knows what will happen so let's not worry yet !

2) Indeed your plasma is a very controversial one. Some people like it because it's a "high definition" - reasonable price display, others say that the hi-def features are biased and that it cannot display some HD sources (see above). Frankly, you (we actually) should not care about those people.
    The bottom line is simple : with dvds and compliant HD sources (720p60 and 1080), your hitachi is a wonderful, and with broadcasting standard definition sources (Sky), it is certainly not as good as some others (pionneer, panny...) but it remains definitely VERY acceptable with digital sources (Sky included).

3) DVI vs Yuv. What a nice technological issue... I'm sure you will find endless discussions as to whether one standard gives you more 1 and 0 than the other, but frankly who cares. Again, the bottom line is straighforward : with a top dvd (reasonable compression, good master), the improvement brought by a dvi lead is beyond imagination : colors are much brighter, everything looks more focused... In a word : it looks significantly and without the slightest doubt better. That is true even through low-end dvd players such as the samsung HD 745. Still, with bad dvds (generally old ones), you get better quality picture with a yuv connexion. So why is that ? Because your dvi connexion magnifies everything, good or bad, so when the source is good, it will look very good with dvi but when the source is bad, every encoding mistake is also magnified to such an extend that you feel better off switching to an analog connexion such as yuv. At the end of the day, you don't really care because you can buy a dual dvi/yuv dvd player and choose the proper connexion depending upon the quality of the dvd you intend to watch. From my personal experience, it's about 50/50 between the two types of connexion.

So, from my standpoint, you should not worry about your display :
    - You can't do anything for the Sky HD thing, so let it go for the time being;
    - You do have a wonderful plasma that will give you good PQ with sky, very good/excellent PQ with most dvds, and may be able to give you HD PQ for a reasonable price.

My bottom line is to enjoy your hitachi !

23. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the very friendly advice, Thibs! :)

Based on your advice, I would prefer a DVI cable. I'd rather have a clearer picture and see all the faults on the DVD, than have a poorer picture. And I don't want to have to keep swapping leads every time I watch a DVD, so using both leads isn't an option for me.

However, since there is still a chance that Sky HDTV will work on my plasma, and my plasma only has one digital port, I don't really think I have any choice but to go for component. If I bought a DVI lead, it would only get thrown away if Sky HDTV worked on my plasma, which I'm hoping will be the case. So I guess it's component for me!

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Grand Dizzy

I doubt Thibs actually 'swaps' cables - more likely a couple of remote control button pushes will swap Inputs/Outputs between YUV and DVI.

You can add a 2, 4 or more DVI switcher in line with the single DVI Input on your Display so no reason to not go with DVI if you feel that's the connection of choice; in fact its more likely that SKY HD will 'initially' be a better match with the YUV Inputs on your Display.

Best regards

Joe

25. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the advice.

I have decided to get a component lead, because I really want to buy the Pioneer 575a, and that doesn't have any digital outputs. So in the end the DVD player decided it for me! I've heard good things about that player, apart from a few reports of flickering on CRT displays, but I have a plasma, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue. (Can always take it back if it's rubbish, anyway!) :)

26. Thibs

Thibs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course i do not swap leads, i just switch sources on my hitachi remote control...

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215