Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which cable DVI-D/I/A, HDMI???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by psflynn, Sep 12, 2005.

1. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Im shortly to permanently install a load of cables from my dvd/HTPC position to the projector location - I do not want to do this again for a long time so I need to have some future proofing.

My question/clarification is:

1. I believe the DVI cable I want is a DVI-I cable? as opposed to -A or -D?
    2. With the right adaptors can an HDMI become a DVI-I and vice versa?. If so are there any benefits of either cable?
    3. I have seen VGA to DVI adaptors. These looked promising as I am running a VGA cable anyway and thought this cable could be multipurpose BUT am I correct in the understanding that VGA /DVI adaptors will only give me DVI-A??

Head hurts, if anyone can clarify Id be very grateful.

Paul

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    If you are only sending a digital signal to the PJ the n DVI-D is fine, but DVI-I (carries both analogue and digital signals) gives you more options as long as the PJ can accept both analogue & digital.
    No, HDMI is digital only. Therefore a converter will only give you DVI-D. The advantage of HDMI (all the way rather than converted!) is that it can also carry audio, thinner cable/smaller plugs and is better over longer lengths.
    Yes.

Mark.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    psflynn

I guess you need to deicide if you want separate cables for your DVD and HTPC or if they are both Digital (DVI/HDMI) you could have one long cable plus a Digital switcher at the source end of the cable.

Be aware that a source with an HDMI Output will apply HDCP encryption to any commercial Disc (Movies) you play on that player and unless you include a 'naughty box' in your set up your Projector has to be HDCP compliant on its DVI Input if you want to use that Input for an HDCP source.

HDMI Input sockets are HDCP compliant by default.

DVI-I cables are les easy to source if your looking for a longish cable run - DVI-D Dual Link or Single link can be had up to 15m in Copper and longer in Fibre Optic.

A well designed DVI-D Dual or Single Link cable will be designed to carry up to 1080P over the longest length the manufacturer supplies - though keep in mind the spec for DVI only calls for a Transmitter in your source to drive 7m of cable; any further and your getting more reliant on the quality of the cable you employ.

HDMI is designed to deliver signals up to 20m - though that's a function of the Transmitter (in the source), the Cable and the Receiver (in the Display). Don't expect to stick a DVI signal down an extra long HDMI cable and have less issues than sticking the same signal down the same cable terminated with DVI sockets.

Some cable manufacturers use different cable types for HDMI and DVI - others don't and use the same high quality cable on long and short runs with HDMI or DVI; see http://www.bettercables.com

The Audio capabilities of HDMI are generally not that relevant for projector owners - your not planning on using the 2x3w sound in your projector are you!

Once you decide what your doing with your Digital signals I'd also recommend a Composite or S-Video cable - your bound to require it some day and its handy if your having 'issues' with DVI or HDMI to revert to a Composite feed to at least 'see' the menu of your source device.

If you run a five core 75ohm Multicore you can use that for all manner of Analogue signals (using adapters) - you can use it for RGBHV from a PC or YUV, S-Video and Composite from any number of Video sources.

Best regards

Joe

4. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Joe, mark

thank you very much - all my questions sorted!

It looks like either DVI-D or HDMI will do what I need, I dont see the point of DVI-A! (given the other cables im going to run)

but I now have another one as a result of Joes answer.

What is the difference between DVI-D Dual and Single Link?

And good point Joe - I have planned for a multitude of cables - composite, s video, component, vga and the aforementioned DVI/HDMI. May as well while there is no roof on!!

Oh and whats wrong with my projectors speakers? I have compared them with my M&Ks and its a very close run thing!

Paul

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    Hello psflynn

A Dual Link DVI-D cable is only really relevant if you have a Source and Display that are Dual Link compatible - pretty rare in Home Theatre terms (unless you use an Apple Cinema Display - just before StooMonster catches me out :)).

A high quality Single Link DVI cable is just as relevant (if not more so) for most Home Theatre applications.

I know some folk would agree with you on the M&K's sounding bright :) - the little ones do until you give them a decent run in!!!

Best regards

Joe

6. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Joe,

Once again thank you for enhancing my knowledge!

Cheers!