Which Budget wide angle lens?

Philbo

Hello all,

Having had my Nikon D3100 a few weeks now, I got thinking about Wide Angle Lenses.

I got the camera with the kit lens and a (cheap but very cheerful!) Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro zoom Lens.

I like taking landscape shots and am shooting a friends wedding in August so want to get my kit together by then (yes I know its a long way off!)

The only experience I have is using my bosses Canon 350D for a few shots at my old job and having a play about with his wide angle lens which was a Sigma I believe.

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap Wide angle lens to get me started?
:D

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

Boink!

Do you want a prime wide angle, eg 28mm f/2.8 or a (ultra) wide zoom, eg Tokina 12-24mm f/4?

Strobe

Assuming you have the standard 18-55 kit lens, then to go wider, you will need an ultra-wide angle lens, which most start at 10mm or 12mm. The common variants are the Sigma 10-20 (currently two versions on the market), Nikon 12-24 and 10-24 (both good but expensive), Tamron 10-24 (said to be not very good), Tokina 11-16 and 12 -24 (both very good, the 12-24 is my UWA of choice). Unfortunately, none of these are particularly cheap - they are all well over £300. If you are happy to go 2nd-hand, then you could probably pick up and UWA for £250 for a decent copy.
Another option would to trade in your 18-55 for a Nikon 16-85; it is a tad wider and far better optically and build-wise than the 18-55 kit lens.

Philbo

Do you want a prime wide angle, eg 28mm f/2.8 or a (ultra) wide zoom, eg Tokina 12-24mm f/4?
hmm, to be honest I don't know the difference! (I am new to this!) haha!

I just looked up a video on the Tamron 10-24 Ultra wide zoom lens and that looked pretty much what I am after, retails over £300 though so better get saving.

will have to read up some reviews on it as Strobe mentioned it might not be up to much!

with regards to trading in the kit lens, I would probably prefer to keep it for now for simple shooting.

Thanks very much for the input people.

If anyone is new to lenses like me and can't really visualise what all the numbers mean, have a look here:

Tamron Europe: Focal length comparison

It really helped!

Strobe

Another thing to think about is what you want the lens for? Ultra-wide angle lenses are really designed for landscape photography set-up on a tripod. I appreciate they do have other uses but that's their prime purpose. It's not worth splashing out 300 notes on a lens which you won't use. Concentrate your funds on those lenses which will get the most use and you will reap much more out of your photography (hence, my suggestion for upgrading the kit lens).
A good source for lens user reviews can be found here ...
Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com!