Which budget sub?

A

AlexMC

Currently using very cheap JPW SW40 8", 50w sub in my home cinema system. It doesn't extend particularly low, 'booms' at around 40Hz and gives a lot of port noise when asked to play at substantial volume.

I want to upgrade and I have the following in mind:
1) Mordaunt-Short MSW20 - £150 - possibly x2
2) Paradigm PDR10 - £150 - again, maybe x2
3) Paradigm PS1000 - £200
4) Yamaha YST320, 300 or 800 - £300 -> £500

I'm especially keen on the Mordaunt-Short sub as the rest of my speakers are from the MS range. However no-one else I know has heard it.

Please advise on the best choice of the above!

Cheers
AlexMC

I can't comment on 1 and 4. wrt 2 and 3 I have some experience. Both are good subs for the money. I think 3 is much better value than 2 (or 2 x 2) at the moment. Two 1000 would be an excellent set up for not silly money. This doesn't have to be done now but I expect the RS offer will not last for ever.

So preference is for 2 Paradigm PS1000, then a single Paradigm PS1000 followed by Paradigm PDR10. Hope this help.

For the record I think theses Paradigm subs are substantially better than most of the competition at these prices (even before the price reductions). The only problem is they are sold by Richer Sounds

Nic

Thanks for the reply. There seems a huge price difference between the RS Paradigm range (£150-£200) and, for example, SevenOaks' REL and M&K range (£450-£800).

Both Paradigms and the RELs seem to be of similar spec - i.e. 10" woofer, 100-170w amp.

Either the Paradigms are poorly-made and designed, or RS really give a better deal...

I'm gonna demo the Paradigms next week - the local RS store said they're difficult to get hold of...

RS do give a good deal, if it all goes alright. But RS are my only reservations here. In USA these prices are often more simialar. In fact in the UK, the Paradigm products are VERY cheap for their performance but are of high quality. I currently have both REL and Paradigm products at home, there is not much in it re design / construction etc. Give it a demo and see what you think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom