1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Budget Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by obvious, May 1, 2003.

1. obvious

obvious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all. I'm a recent convert to home cinema sound for TV/DVD use and my daughter recently decided it would be a good idea to swing off of one of my speakers so I'm looking for a replacement set :)

The room is around 20' * 12'

Its only the front right speaker that has stopped working but I guess I'll have to buy a replacement set? I'm on a very tight budget and any recommendation would be much appreciated.

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What were your original speakers? Whats your price bracket?

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I assume these were speakers supplied with the Scan AV6 system? Have you tried contacting the original supplier?

Otherwise, (and people are going to laugh here) try having a look at the Ariston MSX03 from Richer Sounds (£10 a pair) as being a suitable replacement.

Vikki

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy the MSX03's... a mate bought a pair... awful awful speakers. The treble is the worst, sounds like a cat screaming.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Contacted the supplier for a replacment part or try RS, if they are all the same you could buy a cheap centre and move the current one over, It woulb help if tou gave a budget though mate, do the current speakers/amp have standard cable connector ie spring clip or is it like a headphone jack?

6. obvious

obvious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks for replies!

Current connectors are spring clips. The centre speaker has different sticker on it (as well as 'Centre Speaker' in big letters) so I'm not sure its the same as the broken one.

Budget would be around £100 I guess and I'd be happy to buy second hand on eBay or something.

Small and silver would be a plus aesthetically and any replacement should fit on the Alphason Stands.

Rather than get a replacement from the manufacturer, I'd like to use this as an excuse to upgrade a little ;)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Superfi were doing kef eggs for £75 in their sale, might pick one of those up. Pnansoic have similar style small square speakers, try their site for the model code, should be able to buy singly, or you could try a pair so the fronts match

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. obvious

obvious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They do look good. Thanks I might have to give them a try.

1 point though. My current front left and front right speakers are 8ohm shielded, while these QED ones are 4 ohm unshielded.

The setup at the moment has the stands left and right of the TV speakers(very close). Could the difference in impedence or the lack of shielding be a problem?

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    obvious,

Check these out! Acoustic Energy ones, 2 satellites and a subwoofer in white, for only £100 including delivery. AE is a superb speaker brand which members here and magazines can confirm. And if you had another £200 you would have a full future proof 6.1 setup with 3 subwoofers!!! which is a bargain, even compared with the very good Elac Cinema Ones or Mission FS1 which I have.

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=AEAEGO2WH

Wasabi

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The Scan AV6 is around £180 ... doesn't seam very sensible to start spending lots on replacement speakers unless you're looking to upgrade later.

Well they're not exactly the best speaker in the world ... but for £10 what do you expect. I've heard a pair in action (through a JVC stereo amp admittedly) and thought they were adequate - I'm sure the original speakers weren't Ruark quality :devil: at £10 you could even try getting a pair and spraying the grills silver to match the rest ... and not worry if you break them. If you found they we're really abysmal Richer Sounds always do a 7-day return policy remember.

The Acoustic Energy speakers are powered so would be no good to pair with the Scan AV6 as it has no pre-outs.

The QED Aria speakers look good though at 4ohms will probably not work well with the Scan system.

As someone else said ... take a look at Richer Sounds, they do several speakers for less than £50 - KEF Cresta 1 and Mission 700e come to mind as starters - though they arn't shielded so if you need to put them close to your TV you'll need to look else where and are black or wood coloured. Might also be worth asking at Richer Sounds if they can get replacement speakers from their powered speaker packages as I expect these will be similar.

Your final option (well final one I'm going to list here) is to contact Scan and see if they can supply a replacement speaker. Their website is http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ and they still have the AV6 listed (look under HiFi / AV and then in the speakers section towards the bottom.

In the end you pays ya money and takes your pick ... try to buy from somewhere that will let you return if they don't work well.

Vikki

PS. just thought of another option ... look at eBay and similar for Cambridge Soundworks / Creative Audio speaker sets - the satellite speakers they supply look similar to the Scan ones and you'll probably pick up a 2.1 or 4.1 set for around £50.

12. obvious

obvious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks again! Thats given me plenty to go on. You've been a great help.