1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which budget receiver - Budget £200 to £250

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 50/50, Apr 29, 2005.

1. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to replace my current receiver, as ive just replaced my speakers and they are far too good for my current system. The speakers are AE Esprits, and are they are really quiet, so I think I need more power.
    I currently have a entry level pioneer D510 (5x80w apparently) - which was great, but is just not good enough now.

I will be listening to stereo sound most of the time, so it needs to do this very well. I will only be needing/using 5 channels very occasionally.

I havent got a clue what to look at. I dont mind buying 2nd hand, if what Ill be getting will be much better than new.

Any suggestions?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    cambridge audio azur 540r fits the bill perfectly. its 100wpc in stereo (and 5.1) and 80wpc in full 6.1 mode. buy it buy it buy it. and its AMAZING for music at the price.

3. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    IIRC the Aesprit range are nominal 8ohm, falling to 4 ohm so they're not that easy to drive, so I'd recommend an amp with plenty of current reserves. I'm not sure about the Cambridge as I believe it's a digital amplifier. Marantz seem to do particularly well for sustained power with all channels driven. The Sony STR-DB795 is worth a look as is perhaps the Pioneer 814 if you can live with the "styling".

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i see your point but i have had my CA booming for over 2 hours with a variety of music, just put on the first track i listened to and it is just as powerful - AND PERFECTLY BRILLIANT, its pure bliss ( i just popped downatairs and was disappointed hearing my dad's linn sara's with nytec amp!!!) You can see what speakers i have - and i believe they are quite easy to drive? so this may be irrelevant