1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which budget plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sandman, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    I am considering making the plunge and buying myself a plasma TV. I unfortunately can only afford to go for one of the cheaper models. I have been on the richersounds website and found two LG screens both costing £2499. The model numbers are LG MZ42PZ24 and LG MZ42PZ17. Does anybody know what the differences between these moeels are and which one is the best screen. I am also open to suggestions of other screens available for the same price. I have a pace sky digibox and a samsung dvd player and a panasonic 5.1 reciever. Am I right in saying that I wouldn't need a tv tuner as the digibox would act as this? Also would there be any problems in attaching it to an internal (not brick) wall?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Have you thought of ex-demo? There are a few people advertising such, try www.plasmas-direct.co.uk for starters.

There may well be problems in hanging a plasma on a stud wall, but some internal walls are thermal block, this is ok usually. With a stud wall, you need to attach the bracket to the studwork, or maybe to a MDF sheet attached itself to the studs if the spacing is not convenient.

3. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    RS informed me that the only difference between the 17 and the 24 was S-Video input. The 17 has it and the 24 does not.

4. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RS would like you to think that but I believe it's bullcrap.

The 24 appears to have specs the same as the 14

The 17 has better contrast and brightness than the 14 or 24.

Because LG don't sell the 24 in the UK you won't find the specs on the UK site. It is however on the French site, alongside the 17, at www.lge.com/fr/ - you can even do a side-by-side comparison of them.

Try this URL for the full comparison:

http://fr.lge.com/CatalogAction.do?...Z43V&call=&callType=compare&maxModelCompare=2

(not sure if that will work, it's very long!)

Out of the two, go for the 17.

mike

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortunately LG's codes are not that simple....

The current MZ-42PZ14 and the MZ-42PZ17 are identical inside - the 14 is adapted for the set-top-box and the 17 is usually supplied with a terminal card containing SVHS, CVBS and YUV inputs. However, the terminal card can be put in the 14 thus making it identical spec to the 17.

Please note that this is the current 1000:1 contrast 14 model and not any earlier available 42MZ14s (with 650:1 contrast).

6. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liam,

Are you saying there's more than one version of the 14, with different contrast levels? And that the better spec 14 model has the same specification as the 17 (once you include a terminal board which is also optional on the 17)...?

As this isn't identified anywhere on the unit, how do you know whether you're getting a 650:1 or a 1000:1 unit?

What weird planet do LG live on?!

mike :confused:

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    At this moment in time there are 2 42" plasmas:

MZ42PZ14 - for use with STB.
    MZ42PZ17 - for use with terminal board.

Both have 1000:1 contrast and 750cd/m2. The difference is that the 14 uses the RS232 and 15pin d-sub to connect to the STB, whereas the 17 doesn't (and IIRC is a different finish to the 14).

However, this story differs depending on which dept of LG you speak to! Funnily enough I have been trying all day to find out how to tell the new from the old!!! Will keep you all posted...

8. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 14 I saw was the same finish as my 17.

However the 14 I saw was the older (lower-contrast) version.

The manual implies that the 14 comes with the terminal board as standard - it gibbers on about how the 17 doesn't come with it as standard. However the LG web site sells the board as an accessory for the 14 so I don't know what all that's about...

Mike