1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which budget(ish) player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ptmbradley, Dec 24, 2000.

1. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My in-laws to be are considering a DVD player, but these are people who really don't like to spend money unnecessarily, i.e. dad will use sand and washing up liquid rather than buy a tub of swarfega.

If I don't intervene they will buy the cheapest player they can find, and I really don't want them to do that. So, what would you recommend as a cheap QUALITY player?

Is the Wharfedale really up to the job? I think I'm getting them round to the idea that it's best to stick with the 'name' brands, and I would recommend the Toshiba SD100, simply because it's the current version of my 2109 which has served me perfectly for the last year or so. That machine costs about £220 for a multi-region from Richer Sounds.

There are Panasonics/Pioneers etc that are slightly less and probably just as good, so what would you recommend for no more than about £200?

Cheers peeps!

Ptm

------------------
    Everybody be cool. YOU, be cool.
    --------------------------------------
    ptmbradley@yahoo.co.uk
    http://www.geocities.com/ptmbradley

2. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend an LG 3350 DVD Player.

* Very good sound and picture quality
    * Can play MP3 CD's
    * Has 2 Scarts and 5.1 Outputs
    * Only £230 (From www.techtronics.com)

Alex

p.s - I think they are better than Toshiba players

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Thats not what all the reviews say, Bradavon (spot another Tosh 2109 owner). The Tosh machines are renowned for being among the tops in the DVD player market - sometimes they lack features, but Tosh tend to concentrate on picture and sound.

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    ptm

getting back to your query - if your in-laws are the sort who won't spend money unnecessarily, then do you really think you can persuade them to part with close to £200, when there are players at £110? Just be honest, and tell them that Matsui is an awful brand and they'll only be buying bother.

5. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the Tosh has better sound and picture (only slightly though) but it is missing out on loads of features.

You decide !!!

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Dont forget about the Medion player from Aldi, it's multi region, has componant video out, and a built in dolby digital decoder, all for £129.99, yes I did say componant video out for £129.99

Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have never been one for flashing lights on my equipment - I prefer it if they concentrate on what they are meant to do - play video well with good quality sound in the case of DVD players and VCRs. Don't forget that you are paying for all those extra features even if you never use them.

ptm, Would your in-laws not consider buying 2nd hand?? They are loads of people out there upgrading and plenty of good players to be had at bargain prices.

[This message has been edited by SOK (edited 25-12-2000).]

8. clone

clone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0