1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which budget DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Me, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I really need some help with deciding which projector to go for.
    I already have a main projection system and I am looking for a second projector that will be used in another room and out of the house occasionally.
    The two models I am looking at are the Acer PH110 and NEC HT410. Both are available on ebuyer at a very good price .I know I can spend more and get better but this projector will be used with a computer to play games and watch DVD. The NEC seems to have plenty of reviews around but is commented on as having poor black levels. There are no reviews anywhere on the Acer but it seems better on paper.Any ideas or views on either?
    Thanks

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    You could also consider the Sharp XVZ91E from shootandshow, if they have any left - £468

www.shootandshow.co.uk

3. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone have any info on the Acer PH110 or even better own one. I have searched for hours on the net and there are simply no reviews on this projector at all.Looks like it will have to be the NEC.

4. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    an oustanding bargain
    the sharp xvz 91e that is

5. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    XVZ91E, Why? Better than either of the two I have mentioned.

6. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    if your going to play games wouldnt an LCD be more suited?

Just my 2p worth

7. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anim makes a good point as LCD projectors get you more resolution to the £ which is pretty usefull for gaming but if DVD is your main requirement I'd personally stick with DLP.

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316

Usually true, but not in the sub £500 price bracket, it seems!

Also, you'd have to be careful with LCDs here - many are designed purely for the data market, and have very poor contrast by video standards!

It depends where your priorities lie but a 16:9 WVGA model (like the two Me mentioned) will give you 854x480 in 16:9 mode, but only 640x480 in 4:3 mode.

An SVGA model (800x600, like the Sharp XVZ91E mentioned above) will give you 800x450 in 16:9 mode (14% less), but 800x600 in 4:3 mode (56% more).

The Sharp also comes with better colour wheel technology and lens shift (which would probably come in pretty handy on a portable unit) - downsides are that it's a discontinued model now, and spare lamps are a bit on the pricey side!

You pays your money and takes your choice!

9. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had a demo on a Screenplay 4805 today and was seriously impressed with the picture quality. Strangley I was able to see the rainbow effect on a Themescene H57 which is a higher spec machine and viewing the same material, not at all on the 4805, not sure why this was.Even when I watched different disc's on the 4805 the rainbow effect was simply not apparent. Now I face a real dilema, could the buget NEC410 even get close to the 4805 image quality and if I can see the rainbow effect on certain DLP projectors will it be very apparent on a 2x machine.

10. Marty Williams

Marty Williams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp has a 5 speed wheel, lens shift and an excellent build quality. £465 is a bargain.

I have the 200e (£735 from Nexnix at the moment) and I'm very happy with it.

11. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I havent seen the 4805 in action but it's been praised by many on both sides of the pond and is said to be very similar in performance to the Optoma H30 which I do have and am very impressed by.
    One major plus is it's faroudja deinterlacer which is supposed to be amongst the very best, I doubt you would go far wrong with one.

12. knightman

knightman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, I have the H57 for six months and have never seen the rainbow effect on it