• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which budget AV receiver do people recommend?

thebigdan32

Standard Member
I currently have a Panasonic P42X10, with a Humax 9200 playing through it (scart or optical out), and a Sony DVP NS355 DVD player (with CoAx digital output). As with the others, am looking to get a speaker package (on the cheap if possible) and Blue Ray player in the nearish future.

For now I was going to use my floorstanding Eltax speakers for stereo sound (until I build up the speakers).

I've currently got it down to:

Onkyo 507 - £200 silver, £230 black (preferred). Great that it has HD audio and seems to have a good amount of extras. A little worried with the amount of reports of it heating up on use, esp. as it has no "pass-through" so would have to always have it on when watching TV etc through my Humax PVR

Pioneer VSX519 - £160. Only 2 HDMI inputs, no HD audio, seems a little limited but great price

Yamaha 365 - £190. again, only 2 HDMI inputs and no HD audio.

Basically I have only just decided that my first Home Cinema setup will be separates rather than an all-in-one that I was considering...any advice appreciated!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I am sure you can get the 365 for closer to £150. I would not say the Pioneer or 365 are that good on price considering you will be missing on HD audio. I would also look at the Yamaha 465 as this is the same price as the Onkyo.

thebigdan32

Standard Member
thanks for the reply PSM1. I had started looking at the slightly higher spec ones such as the Yamaha 465 but it is all a little overwhelming! - is the 465 quite a highly considered one? (seems to tick most of the right boxes)

I am beginning to come around to the conclusion that it is silly to start my system off with something that wouldn't be future proof, but once you start looking at anything other than the cheapest one that each company does, it is very easy to "climb up the ladder" quickly!

Once again thanks for the help

Dan

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
is the 465 quite a highly considered one? (seems to tick most of the right boxes)
The Yamaha 465 is as good as the other entry level amps. As you say, it doesn't have the heat issues of the Onkyo, though it must be said, there are many happy 507 owners out there.

I think you are wise to get an amp that will do audio over Hdmi and not the 365 for example.

Maybe it's becaue I'm used to, and like yamaha, but the Yamaha 465 would be my choice in the entry level amps with HD audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom